Machine Shop Trade Secrets, Second Edition
A Guide to Manufacturing Machine Shop Practices
James A Harvey
320 Pages, Hardcover
Published: June, 2013
Written by an experienced machinist and plastic injection mold maker, this groundbreaking manual will have users thinking and producing like experienced machinists. Machine Shop Trade Secrets provides practical “how-to” information that can immediately be put to use to improve ones machining skills, craftsmanship, and productivity. It is sure to be used and referred to time and again.
Users will discover ways to ... Work faster. Select, make, and grind cutters. Surface grind blocks, pins and shapes. Cut threads, knurl parts and eliminate warp. Choose realistic feeds, speeds and depths of cut. Remove broken taps, drill bits and other hardware. Apply proven CNC techniques to maximize output. Improve surface finishes and hold tighter tolerances. Assist engineers with design and manufacturing issues. Improve indicating skills and develop a “feel” for machining.
New to the Second Edition
- Now includes 4-color photos throughout.
- Features a reformatted layout which fully integrates the text and photos to make the book more accessible.
- Chapter 15, "The Incredible CNC," has been greated expanded and completely updated to reflect advances since the previous edition.
- Most chapters now have easy-to-use tables summarizing all of the tips, suggestions, and secrets from that chapter; enabling readers to see in a glance the detailed topics covered.
James Harvey is a full-time machinist and plastic mold maker. He has made his living working in shops across the U.S. for nearly 40 years. His no-nonsense approach to listing machining rules-of-thumb is an unprecedented, effective way to share this valuable knowledge.
- Work Fast. Get it Right
- Do it the Easy Way
- Make ‘Em Look Good
- Help for Novices
- More Shop Talk
- The Cutter Caper
- Threads and Things
- Help for Engineers
- Rotary Table Magic
- Taming Warp
- Be Square
- Mold Making Tips
- Get Your Grinder Goin’
- The Incredible CNC
- Shop Math Wizardry
- Odds and Ends
- Tell Me Something I Don’t Know
- Appendix 1: Project Drawings
- Appendix 2: Chapter 16 Solutions
- Appendix 3: More Trade Secrets