295 Pages, Softcover
Published: February, 2014
This long-awaited new edition of a best-selling text and reference provides an expanded and more comprehensive treatment of sheet metal forming processes, while placing forming processes and die design in the broader context of the techniques of press-working sheet metal. Included are the “hows” and “whys” of product analysis, as well as the techniques for blanking, punching, bending, deep drawing, stretching, material economy, strip design, movement of metal during stamping, and tooling. While concentrating on simple, applicable engineering methods rather than complex numerical techniques, the author uses many illustrations, tables, and charts to enhance comprehension and learning.
- Presents topics with a balanced coverage of relevant fundamentals and real-world practices.
- Emphasizes the influence of materials as an aid to understanding manufacturing processes and operations.
- Features the essential mathematical formulas and calculations needed for various die operations and performance evaluation.
- Shows the comparative advantages and liabilities for each manufacturing process and operation.
- Offers a complete picture of the knowledge and skills needed for the effective design of dies for sheet-metal forming processes highlighted with illustrative examples.
- Includes a brand new chapter (Chapter 14, on quick die-change systems and die design) and a brand new appendix (Appendix 4, on technical specifications of Helical and Belleville springs).
art I: Theoretical Fundamentals
- The Structure of Materials
- Mechanical Behavior of Metals
Part II: Manufacturing Procesess
- Searing Process
- Blanking and Punching
- Deep Drawing
- Various Forming Processes
Part III: Die Design
- Basic Die Classifications and Components
- Blanking and Punching Dies
- Bending Dies
- Deep Drawing Dies
- Various Forming Dies
- Tool and Die Materials
- Quick Die Change Systems and Die Design
Appendix 1: Blank Diameter of Drawn Shells
Appendix 2: Metric System Tolerances
Appendix 3: Miscellaneous Information
Appendix 4: Technical Specifications of the Helical and Belleville Springs.