Thread: Linear Elasticity

suhbmariner7

Linear Elasticity

I am taking a mechanics of materials class right now, and we are covering linear elasticity. In our class notes it states that the Equilibrium Equations for 2-D are:

d(sigma_xx)/dx + d(sigma_xy)/dy + X_x = 0 and d(sigma_yy)/dy + d(sigma_xy)/dx + X_y = 0 where X is the body force(s)

which reduces to del^2(sigma_xx + sigma_yy) = 0 in the special case of zero body forces.

I can't seem to get to the second equation from the first two. I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask this question. If not, I apologize. Thanks for any help in advance!

Technical Fellow
    Hi SubM, welcome to this group.

This is borderline infringing our no homework policy, but we may be able to assist to some degree.

You do not appear to have actually asked a question. Given that though, I think I know what you are after. Can you show us your workings (pic or scan) and we may be able to point out where you are going wrong or making incorrect assumptions or transpositions to get you back on track.

Bear in mind, it will just be a guide and not doing it for you, so let's see where you are so far.