Thread: Newbie needing your guidance in creating a slowly rotating device...

Associate Engineer

Newbie needing your guidance in creating a slowly rotating device...

Hey all, This forum is an amazing resource and I was really hoping you all could help me out....

As the title states I am trying to fabricate an extremely slow moving device for a school project I am doing. Also I feel it's important to state that I'm VERY new to this mechanical world you all thrive in.... I just learned how to change my own cars oil the other day and I'm over 30 years old HA!

To explain further, I need to be able to rotate a very light weight plastic lid on top of a small motor that does one full rotation over the coarse of 4 to 5 days respectively. I've been looking into stepper motors but I get lost as they seem a bit more complicated than I can handle for the time being... Are there other options or is there even anything in this world that rotates that slowly for cheap (again I'm a student)?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Look into gear reductions like in a watch movement. That way your drive motor can run at some reasonable speed. You can design a gearset to give you whatever output speed you want.

Lead Engineer
    Look at electric clock motors that have a 24 hr rotation speed and combining this with a 4 or 5 to 1 pulley reduction assembly if you have trouble getting or fabricating a gear assembly to achieve the slow rotation you require.

Principle Engineer
    You might check to see what astronomers use to keep telescopes tracking a spot in the sky.