Thread: Tolerance interpretation conflict

Associate Engineer

Tolerance interpretation conflict

I have an engineer from one customer who is insistent that the tolerances for any GD&T dimension must be applied to the basic dimension of the print. He is saying that if a basic dimension locates a hole with a true position of .25 mm, the basic dimension is subject to the .25 mm true position tolerance.

I have a second customer that wants to stack a 2 mm true position tolerance on a 2 mm basic dimension for the hole location.

Please tell me I am on solid ground that neither modification is acceptable.

BTW, new member, 1st post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
    I have an engineer from one customer who is insistent that the tolerances for any GD&T dimension must be applied to the basic dimension of the print. He is saying that if a basic dimension locates a hole with a true position of .25 mm, the basic dimension is subject to the .25 mm true position tolerance.
    No... though they may be conceptually understanding but not expressing themselves correctly... The basic dimension is considered tolerance-less.. The GD&T tolerance is located and oriented relative to the specified datums about the Basic Dimension specified. The as built hole feature's axis must fall within the oriented and located to the specified datums GD&T position tolerance.

The basic dimension is NOT variable or moving...

I have a second customer that wants to stack a 2 mm true position tolerance on a 2 mm basic dimension for the hole location.
    Stack? can you clarify please...
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 04-30-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.