Thread: ASME – Cone design calculator

Associate Engineer

Red face ASME – Cone design calculator

Hello,
    The posted calculator does not refer to the 30 degree half-apex angle limitation (as stated in ASME Section VIII UG-32).
    What is the best/easiest way for calculating the strength of a conical bottom if this angle exceeds 30 degrees?

Thank you & regards,
    Joel

I think that the standard states that for when the half-apex exceeds 30 deg. a reinforcement ring can be included to stiffener the cone structure.

Read all the rules in UG-32

A reinforcing ring shall be provided when required by the rule in 1-5(d) and (e).

Conical heads or sections having a half apex-angle a greater than 30 deg. without a transition knuckle shall comply with Formula (4) and 1-5(g).
    Last edited by Cragyon; 08-08-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Associate Engineer
    Hello,
    I think that if this is the case then it should be added to the online calculator so that limitations and following steps are clear...

Quote Originally Posted by joel_bogaert View Post
    Hello,
    I think that if this is the case then it should be added to the online calculator so that limitations and following steps are clear...
    The Cone Design calculator determines the cone design parameter accurately. A reinforcement ring is required if ASME certification is required and the angle exceeds 30 degrees..

If you choose to design a cone transition at 31 degrees the cone design data will be determined. You seem to be suggesting that the calculator should inform you to use a reinforcement ring.

To be clear, the calculator is for determining the geometry, not required welds, weld penetration, engineering materials, surface finish and all of the other design engineering requisites..

Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 08-16-2016 at 02:53 PM.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.