Thread: Force/Acceleration amplification through a linkage

Associate Engineer

Force/Acceleration amplification through a linkage

Hello all,

I need help determining the force/acceleration output through a linkage. Please see the attached file for the problem.

I'm placing a linear actuator horizontally which is connected to two linear bearings placed on a vertical beam. The linear motion of the actuator is transmitted to the bearings giving them horizontal motion. The actuator is exerting a 5lbf force and moving at a velocity of 2 in/sec and an acceleration of 2 in/sec^2. Let's assume that the two beams connecting the actuator to the linear bearing are 5 inches in length. Is there a way to calculate the amount of force that the lower bearing will exert on the solid block placed under it and how much will be the increase in its velocity/acceleration?

I just made up all the numbers so please feel free to use your own numbers if these don't make any sense. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Is there a way to calculate the amount of force that the lower bearing will exert on the solid block placed under it and how much will be the increase in its velocity/acceleration?"

Yes, there is a way. Free Body Diagrams and Vector Analysis. Are you asking us to do it for you?