Thread: Question on Datum Reference Frame

Associate Engineer

Question on Datum Reference Frame

Link removed..

In the link above (assuming the drawing is correct), why is datum axis C not dimensioned off of datum axis B? Datum axis C is located off the edge, not hole to hole, why is that? Why bother having datum B in the FCF when defining datum C?

How are we defining that top hole? It is referencing Datum A, but I don't see how it is using Datum B or C, it is using the edge of the part again.

Thank you for any clarity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just removed the link you posted ... The linked website appears to have copied content from another website (competitor) and we don't allow this sort of activity on Engineers Edge - competitor or not...

The image, which is publically available has been posted to your thread.

why is datum axis C not dimensioned off of datum axis B? Datum axis C is located off the edge, not hole to hole, why is that?

Datum C is dimensioned off of Datum B.. The explanation at the bottom of the copied website image indicates all of the dimensions are Basic therefore the dimensions and tolerances are non-cumulative and the order is meaningless.

You simply add or subtract the dimension distances to determine the direct dimension distance from Datum B to C.

I recommend that you not visit the referenced website and seek out the original publisher website. As much as we at Engineers Edge would like to help you should direct your questions to the original author and not Engineers Edge.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.