Thread: crowning factor

Associate Engineer

crowning factor

Hi guys,
    What is crowning factor in gear?
    Can someone explain this for me?
    Thank you

Principle Engineer
    Crowning is a the removal of gear tooth material towards the edges so that gears that are not supported by perfectly aligned shafts can avoid contact on the extreme ends of the teeth. (Think slightly barrel shaped).

Attachment 1881

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    Crowning is a the removal of gear tooth material towards the edges so that gears that are not supported by perfectly aligned shafts can avoid contact on the extreme ends of the teeth. (Think slightly barrel shaped).

Attachment 1881
    Thank you for your respond,
    In chapter 15 of mechanical engineering design(shigley) i dont understand this sentence:
    The teeth of most bevel gears are crowned in the lengthwise direction during manufacture to accommodate to the deflection of the mountings.
    What does "to accommodate to the deflection of the mountings"means?
    Could you please explain this sentence?
    Thank you
    Last edited by mrg1373; 05-06-2017 at 02:36 AM.

Principle Engineer
    When gears transmit force, they generate a reaction which has a component called a 'separating force' which, as you might expect, tends to push the gears apart. I suspect that Shigley is referring to efforts to accommodate the resulting change in alignment produced by the reaction forces.

There will be a component in bevel gears separating them along the shaft axis, perpendicular to the shaft axis, and yet another attempting to move the gear radially around the axis of the mating gear. My guess would be that the last (radial) is most likely the one that is accommodated by crowning.