Thread: Help with Rebuilding 80T 4-Post Hydraulic Press

Associate Engineer

Exclamation Help with Rebuilding 80T 4-Post Hydraulic Press

I just purchased this hydraulic press and power unit and I’m planning to fully refurbish it. The plan is to build a new stand that integrates the power unit, powder coat nearly everything, and make new stainless platen plates to cover the existing ones.
    It’s my understanding that the press and power unit have never been used together before, but they seem well matched.

Press Specifications:
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Cylinder External Dimensions: 11in OD x 17.5in
    Estimated Tonnage: 10in ID x 2000psi = ~80T
    Platen Size: 22in x 14in x 3in
    Daylight: ~19in
    Post Size: 2.375in x 40in
    Post Clearance: 14.5in+ x 6.5in+
    Bushing Size: 3in OD, x 2.375in ID x 3in

Hydraulic Power Unit Specifications:
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Motor: 7.5HP Baldor/Vickers
    Pump: Vickers Vane Pump
    Regulator: ? 9869-OP
    Gauge: 6000PSI

I’ve never worked on a press like this and I have a few questions before I get started:

Questions:
    1. What type of seals am I likely to encounter and how would I go about replacing them if necessary?
    2. Does anyone have any idea who the manufacturer of the press is?
    3. If I flip the press upside down (so the hydraulic cylinder is above), would there be any drawbacks?
    4. Is it a good idea to replace the bushings, and if so, what’s the best type and method of removal?
    5. I plan on making some 1.25in thick 17-4 H900 stainless steel plates to bolt to the existing platens which I plan to machine a threaded hole pattern onto (3/8”-16 with 2in spacing). Does that seem like a good/bad idea?
    6. What’s the best way to determine the maximum tonnage/hydraulic-pressure that is safe to use this press at?
    7. Should I rebuild the hydraulic pump (e.g. seals) while I’m at it (proactively)?
    8. What hydraulic oil should I buy?
    9. I might make a smaller hydraulic oil tank to give the press a smaller footprint/height… What’s the best way to size a tank for this application?
    10. What’s the best way to remove the rust from the posts without changing the diameter? (Nearly everything else is going to be sand blasted for powder-coating)
    11. What sort of controls should I consider if there’s only occasionally going to be a couple people using this press?
    12. Is there anything I’m not thinking of (e.g. potential disassembly/reassembly difficulties)?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help, I really appreciate it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Without an operational specification plate or identification on the press you don't don't what you have.

When you disassemble the hydraulic cylinder you can then measure the bores, o-rings and packings and get a better ideal on what you have. I doubt the hydraulic cylinder is custom.

Engineers Edge has cylinder force calculators

http://www.engineersedge.com/calcula...calculator.htm

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cragyon View Post
    Without an operational specification plate or identification on the press you don't don't what you have.

When you disassemble the hydraulic cylinder you can then measure the bores, o-rings and packings and get a better ideal on what you have. I doubt the hydraulic cylinder is custom.

Engineers Edge has cylinder force calculators

What do you mean by "I don't have what I have"?

I meant to write "Without an operational specification plate or identification on the press you don't know what you have.".

Identification plates normally have rated load capabilities and other information.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cragyon View Post
    I meant to write "Without an operational specification plate or identification on the press you don't know what you have.".

Identification plates normally have rated load capabilities and other information.
    Got it. Based on the posts of the other presses I've seen, 2-3/8" posts seem to be well-within capacity for a 100T press, but the material the posts are made of obviously makes a huge difference.