Thread: Purging Water Line

m209112

Purging Water Line

I'm working on something new at work and was wondering if you guys could help. The whole purpose of my experiment is to empty the contents of a water tank into a bottle. The bottle will be removable from the assembly at the users discretion. The problem we keep running into is that there is always some "dead lag" of liquid left behind in the exit path/tube from the tank to the bottle which is unacceptable. We want to have total evacuation of the exit tube/path when the bottle is removed from the interface of the bottle and tank. Any evacuation must not go back into the tank either, so it would have to be purged into the bottle.

Do you guys have any ideas as to how the water line can be purged prior to removing the bottle? I thought of possibly attaching a small air pump to the evacuation line and somehow forcing air through the line to evacuate all the remaining fluid, but that may or may not be possible?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Gravity and a vent stack. Put a tee in your fill line and point it up.

Technical Fellow
    Plan A:
    Have a clear bottle and light-based (LED/Laser et al) sensor that dings a bell when the bottle is 7/8 full. An attendant comes and removes the bottle just as it is full.

Plan B:
    Have two bottles on a 180-deg carousel. When bottle is full, the attendant swings the carousel around and the remnants drain into the empty bottle. Put a clean bottle in place of the full one.

Plan C:
    Thinking...

m209112 - a diagram would help a lot. Where are the connections in relation to the liquid level? Where are any valves? Can you make a vent as Dave suggested? If so, that should do the trick. How big are the components?