Thread: Bulk Marking New Threads "Read????"

Technical Fellow

Bulk Marking New Threads "Read????"

Hi All,

Has anyone found (or even looked) for a way to bulk apply "Read" status to the "New Posts" listings? I often don't log in and just use the Generic display of "New Posts" However, when I do log in, I get about 50 new posts that have been tagged to my logged in status, most, if not all, I have read when I didn't log in.

Soooo, anyone found a way to "Select All" and "Mark as Read" in the "new Posts" displayed list?

Currently, I copy the URL for the "New Posts" display then after clicking each new post I paste the URL in ot the address line then hit enter and I get a new copy of the list. Not perfect but better than scrolling to the top and clicking "New Posts" after each one.

@Kelly:
    Is it possible to add "Return to New Posts list" in the "Quick Navigation" drop-down at the bottom of each Thread?

Dave,
    I haven't had that problem. Maybe its because I'm set up to automatically log in every time I enter the site.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    Maybe its because I'm set up to automatically log in every time I enter the site.
    I have that with Firefox, but I get a redirection error and have to go through the auto log in twice and it will work the second time. It is something to do with the way this board is set up as I am on several other boards using the same forum software and it auto logs in fine from the Home page.

Because I have to go through the process twice, I generally just look in and if I want to comment, then I log in.

Here's what I get the first pass through auto-login.
    I have to go back and then click "Login" and go through the semi-manual process. It automatically places the data, so it is just mouse clicks, but mostly I can't be bothered with that little dance, so I only log in AFTER I click "Reply" then I get the auto login which THEN works the first time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 03-16-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Login twice? I only have to login once in Explorer. I'll try it in Firefox...

Also, I typically stay logged unless switching to admin..

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Hi All,

Has anyone found (or even looked) for a way to bulk apply "Read" status to the "New Posts" listings?
    Where do you get the option or indication or a "read" status?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    @Kelly:
    Is it possible to add "Return to New Posts list" in the "Quick Navigation" drop-down at the bottom of each Thread?
    I don't know.... I'm looking right now and it looks like i would have to edit the base template..

Technical Fellow
    Kelly, I am not sure there is a "Read" status per se, but since the status is applied just by displaying the posting, I wondered if there was a command approach available with the forum software.

I think the problem may be in the "Default" button on the Home page. My saved password is filled in then it is supposed to action the "Default" button on the form. If another option, a link maybe, is the default then that is being triggered instead of the "Login" button. Justa feeling.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/ uses the same forum software and my auto-login works fine there.

Also, of note, is if I am on a thread page (say this page before clicking "Reply") and click the firefox auto-login button it logs in as expected even though there is no "User name" or "Password" Edits available, and no "Login" button. It seems to be an underlying script that does not need them to be visible. That's probably confused you more.

Maybe check for scripts on the forum landing and see if there is a difference.