Thread: need help with technical info

Associate Engineer

need help with technical info

can someone please explain what this mean 13.2 Controls: All driving controls must retain the role laid down for them by the manufacturer. Footrests and
    heat protection panels may be added to the driver’s footwell cavity. Pedals and pedal boxes are free, but the
    radial location of the pedal axes must remain within 75mm of the original.

regards scott

Technical Fellow
    Hi Scott, not sure which part you do not understand. It is all pretty clear to me, just read them individually.

1:
    All driving controls must retain the role laid down for them by the manufacturer.
    2:
    Footrests and heat protection panels may be added to the driver’s footwell cavity.
    3:
    Pedals and pedal boxes are free, but...
    4:
    ...the radial location of the pedal axes must remain within 75mm of the original.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Hi Scott, not sure which part you do not understand. It is all pretty clear to me, just read them individually.

1:
    All driving controls must retain the role laid down for them by the manufacturer.
    2:
    Footrests and heat protection panels may be added to the driver’s footwell cavity.
    3:
    Pedals and pedal boxes are free, but...
    4:
    ...the radial location of the pedal axes must remain within 75mm of the original.

Hi thanks for your reply what im really after number 4. the radial location of the pedal axes must remain within 75mm of the original.
    a. what is the radial location
    b. what is the pedal axes
    it seems to be a big issue in my motor racing club some people are saying its the pivot that the pedal arm is mounted too others say its the pedal pad that you place your foot on and others say it could be both ,so im just trying to work it out
    my understanding what i think it is that you cant move the pedal pad that you place your foot on more 75mm away from were the old pedal pad was located
    regards scott
    p.s im not a engineer just someone who does a bit of racing at the track on a weekend
    Last edited by srad; 04-25-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Technical Fellow
    Hi Scott,

It is a little ambiguous and I would want to know what they are trying to enforce or prevent to be sure. BUT, the safest way, and I have done a lot of car building and racing in my youth, is to contact the Chief Technical Inspection Officer of the club or sanctioning body. I have dealt with the SCTA Chief a couple of years back and he was very patient and accommodating.

Not sure what type of racing you have in mind, but they are usually nice guys. More often than not Engineers who all have a penchant for accuracy and detail. It's a curse!!

Given the mass of work that will go into putting the pedals where they will go AND the even greater mass of work to move them if they are incorrectly positioned, that would be the best bet.

I mention my involvement in racing, not to show off, but to assure you I have made costly assumptions when reading rules and now always check.

Having said all that, this is what I think it means...
    The new position could be anywhere on the perimeter of the blue circle. That perimeter is 75mm radial to the original position.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 04-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Hi Scott,

It is a little ambiguous and I would want to know what they are trying to enforce or prevent to be sure. BUT, the safest way, and I have done a lot of car building and racing in my youth, is to contact the Chief Technical Inspection Officer of the club or sanctioning body. I have dealt with the SCTA Chief a couple of years back and he was very patient and accommodating.

Not sure what type of racing you have in mind, but they are usually nice guys. More often than not Engineers who all have a penchant for accuracy and detail. It's a curse!!

Given the mass of work that will go into putting the pedals where they will go AND the even greater mass of work to move them if they are incorrectly positioned, that would be the best bet.

I mention my involvement in racing, not to show off, but to assure you I have made costly assumptions when reading rules and now always check.

Having said all that, this is what I think it means...
    The new position could be anywhere on the perimeter of the blue circle. That perimeter is 75mm radial to the original position.
    thanks david i believe thats right with the drawing but could it also mean the location of the pedal pad

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by srad View Post
    thanks david i believe thats right with the drawing but could it also mean the location of the pedal pad
    Not to my reading, as it says, "pedal axis," which I interpret to mean the center-line the pedal rotates around.

I am guessing, but they may be trying to limit clutch travel from engaged to released. With really short pedals down close to the floor, the effort would be much greater but the travel only an inch or two to shave fractions off a launch. Then comes the problem that the brake pedal will be down there with the clutch and impossible to get a lot of pressure on in an emergency with such a short pedal lever.

But, again, the CTIO is the guy to ask before cutting and welding anything.