Thread: SAE and USS washer tolerances

Associate Engineer

SAE and USS washer tolerances

I can find lots of references to the diameter and thickness of SAE and USS washers, but no tolerance information. It would be particularly nice to know whether they are specified to be at least the inside diameter, or how much smaller they can be.

Associate Engineer
    These are mostly what I need but when I buy an SAE or USS I don't know how that corresponds to the ANSI standard. Other charts I have says that the ID of a 5/16" USS washer is 3/8" and an SAE is 13/32". I don't even see 0.406" in the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenTheObdurate View Post
    These are mostly what I need but when I buy an SAE or USS I don't know how that corresponds to the ANSI standard. Other charts I have says that the ID of a 5/16" USS washer is 3/8" and an SAE is 13/32". I don't even see 0.406" in the chart.
    First - I seen a .406" ID and .406" OD washer in one of the charts...

Second - Are you sure the washer is SAE or USS? Could be a custom washer or just an ANSI... ANSI is the most current standard and is used the the US and others for inch based hardware..

Third - If you can't find the data for free, determine the standard that you need for the particular SAE or USS washer range and buy it...

http://www.sae.org/standards/

From Wikipedia:

"United States Standard thread (USS thread), also known as Sellers Standard thread, Franklin Institute thread and American Standard thread, is a standard for inch based threaded fasteners and washers.

The USS standard is no longer supported. It, together with the SAE fastener standard, was incorporated into the Unified Thread Standard. However, the term, USS, continues to be used occasionally today to describe inch based threaded fasteners with a coarse thread pitch and inch based washers that are a little bit larger than the corresponding SAE washer.

The Unified Thread Standard uses the term UNC (Unified National Coarse) to describe a fastener that previously would have been designated USS and the Unified Thread Standard uses the term UNF (Unified National Fine) to describe a fastener that would have previously been designated SAE."

Last but not least - what does the washer install on? Use for?
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 07-27-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Associate Engineer
    I'm not familiar with this stuff and I thought I already answered. If this is a duplicate, I apologize.

First - I didn't look carefully at the 2nd chart - sorry. The 1st and 2nd chart had the same names on the link while the second is for type B. I didn't notice that the 2nd chart had nominal, ID and OD while the first had nominal ID and OD.

I am designing a complicated (for me) piece of machinery. I'm a controls engineer so I don't know the nomenclature. I looked on a couple of vendors sites and they had charts for USS and SAE washers, without tolerances, so I assumed (it hardly ever works - I know) that that was what they sold and that's how they were called out. If I was going to the hardware store I just get what I wanted out of the bins. I am designing something and need part descriptions so they can be ordered by someone else. I would hate to get bunches of the wrong thing so I'm a witsy twitchy. I guess close is good enough for horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons.

- Stephen