Thread: semi bonded bushes

Associate Engineer

semi bonded bushes

Hi.

Hi. I have aluminium tube (Alloy 6063T6 ) 1 1/2 inch outside diameter 1/4wt. I need to turn the inside of this tube to take a 30mm outside diameter suspension bush (semi bonded: metal,rubber,metal) . Is there a standard calculation for the diameter of 'receiving' holes for these interference fit bushes? Cheers.

Look in the bushing manufacturer's catalog. You should find installation information there. If not go to a different manufacturer.

Technical Fellow
    You could try Machinery's Handbook for "interference fit" -- BUT -- with the significant difference in expansion rates between aluminum and the bushing outer diameter, the working environment could have a big effect on the degree of press fit. The bushing manufacturer should be able to get you started, but a wise man would tweak that some.

Since you have not stated anywhere near enough information, it is impossible to give a more precise answer.

Associate Engineer

Machinery's Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    You could try Machinery's Handbook for "interference fit" -- BUT -- with the significant difference in expansion rates between aluminum and the bushing outer diameter, the working environment could have a big effect on the degree of press fit. The bushing manufacturer should be able to get you started, but a wise man would tweak that some.

Since you have not stated anywhere near enough information, it is impossible to give a more precise answer.

Thanks PinkertonD. Your lead to the Machinery's Handbook is great, just what I needed. You're probably not surprised to know that I didn't actually know it existed.

I've ordered one as well as a guide to using it ! So I'll probably be back in a week with more specifics.

Just for the record, I'd looked at the manufacturer's specs of this bush as well as other bush manufacturers info on the web and could not find
    anything to do with installation instructions. Their product specs are confined to dimensions, tolerances, axial/ radial load etc.
    I will ask a couple manufacturers by email and see what comes back.

Thanks again.

Technical Fellow
    Happy to help Bob, Machinery's is the go to handbook. Hope you did not order the CD version. The last time I tried it, it was woeful for finding stuff. The paper version is still the best by far in my humble old opinion.

Gotta ask, a "55" what? A shoe box or Nomad?

Yeah Bob, you can always tell an old machine deisgner by how worn his Machinery's Handbook is. Some of the old farts I work with display that old and tattered volume with pride, like having an old T-square hanging around. For some its almost like, "Today we will read from Machinery's chapter 8, verse 7."

Another suggestion - call them. Communication is always better person-to-person. Most manufacturers have application engineers that are knowledgeable, helpful, and want your project to succeed. I have always found direct communication is much better than written, whether paper or electronic.