Thread: Losing Bolts from Fixtures

Associate Engineer

Losing Bolts from Fixtures

What is a good way to keep bolts with fixtures. They seem to come up missing after every use and this causes a lot of down time to the welders when they are trying to put the fixture in, and have to go look for hardware. I don't think they make captive hardware that would be big enough for this application. Is this a personal responsiblity issue?

Thanks,

Matt W.

Technical Fellow
    Sounds to me like a stalling technique by the welders. Are they paid hourly rates? Production bonus?

At the start of the week I would issue all the fasteners required for each welder. I would then have them turn them in at the end of the week and dock them $1 for every missing item. Times are tough, welders are in good supply. You do not have to put up with crap like that when you are part of a business trying to make a buck to pay their wages.

Before doing that put in some covert cameras and watch what is happening to the bolts. They are probable tossing them away. Been there done that when I worked for an Engineering company in New Zealand. The welders were burning sticks down to half way then tossing them under machinery, in trash and anywhere they could find.

That meant they were using almost twice as many sticks per weldment and had to go to the supply cabinet and get more packs all the time. Fired a couple and then charged the rest for overs each Friday. Got their attention really fast.

Not sure what the bolts, however weld fixtures can be designed such that they do their jobs with minimal bolts.

See --> Weld Fixture Movie

Associate Engineer
    These are removable fixtures placed on truck frames.

What does one call those pins with the cable retainers? Kind of like when the bank or post office secure the ink pen to the counter?

Anyway, can you cable the bolts to the fixture?

Associate Engineer
    I am not sure if we can either issue bolts to the welders or tether them to the fixture. I thought about both of those ideas. Issuing the bolts to the welders seems to make since to me, then they have control of their own fate. This issue was brought to me by a welder who is frustrated with wasting time looking for bolts. Some of the guys also tighten down some of the bolts so tight that you can't even get them off with an impact.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by MWikoff View Post
    so tight that you can't even get them off with an impact.
    Could that be from the heat and metal-expansion? Maybe add cold water?