Thread: This should prove interesting...

This should prove interesting...

As many of you know, I am a bit of a gearhead (I think most of us here are) and enjoy my hotrods and racing. In September, my buddy and I are going to embark on what is possibly the greatest test of man and machine in street legal drag racing. We are headed out on Hot Rod Magazine's Drag Week 2012 in his 1967 Mustang Coupe. Josh and I have been buds since high school, and although we both have a lot of gray hair (and most of the rest has long since been lost) our love for the sport of drag racing has grown.

So... The two of us are going to jump in his 351C-powered Ford and take off from Topeka, KS and drive to Tulsa, OK. The race starts Monday morning (Sept 10) at Tulsa. After racing on Monday, we will drive to Ennis, TX and race there on Tuesday. Wednesday morning will dawn on a new day of racing in Gilliam, LA followed on Thursday with racing in Memphis, TN. Friday we will be back in Tulsa for the finals. We have to drive the car from one track to the next as putting it on a trailer will result in an instant disqualification from the event. Eleven separate classes with a total of two-hundred-fifty cars will be competing and it should make for not only a great test of man and machine, but also for a good time with fellow gearheads. The class the Mustang races is Small Block Naturally Aspirated. Past winners have posted times in the mid 10-second range, but we will be happy to just finish the event.

Wish us luck and I'll keep you all posted with results.

Ron

Sounds like a heck of a trip... Be sure to take pictures...

Just recently, I've cleaning out my basement as I think I'm finanly going to semi-finish that area. While diggin around, I found a whole bunch of old Hot Rod Magazines.

Here is the front page of November, 1962

November-1962.jpg
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 08-08-2012 at 10:50 AM.

October 1962

October-1962.jpg

And, for you Ford folks this is the back cover of a Motor Trend magazine, February 1966.

The spotlight was only $29.95 extra!

Motor-Trend-Feb-1966-Back.jpg
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 08-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Technical Fellow
    Kelly, do you have the one where they hand built a body for a two-seat roadster with asymmetrical styling? I think it was a Hot Rod special project they did themselves, or at least had commissioned. I loved that car. It was on the cover for one issue but the build lasted several issues as I recall. Painted red of course!

The compressed air racer on the October 1962 cover sounds interesting.

Yes and no... Within my October 1962 magazine there is an update article about the project..

hrm-street-roadster-1.jpg

hrm-street-roadster-2.jpg

hrm-street-roadster-3.jpg

Timeless.... 1948 Mercury Coupe

timeless.jpg

Technical Fellow
    Thanks Kelly, that looks to be it although the final bodywork was a little different, but then that could also just be a 50+ year memory error.

Given that starting help, it (the XR-6 as it was called) is still alive and well and living in CA apparently. Thanks Kelly. Not quite as sweet as I remembered it, but 1963 was a long time back.

http://www.motorcarportfolio.com/product.php?id=2460
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 08-08-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Flashback time...
    Had an ugly color sort of sky blue 67 Mustang coupe that I managed to squeeze a 70 Cleveland motor in with a C6 behind it. I was about 16 or 17 at the time and in a hurry to drive it so instead of getting heavier front springs I jambed some ot the rubber spring spacer thingy's in the coils to get the front up off the ground more. Recall having to make the tranny hanger and grabbing some sort of truck u-joint to make things connect... and had to shorten the driveshaft. Put some 3.58:1 gears in the rear out of a "Mighty Maverick" and called it a day. That thing was really quick. The 70 Clevelands were 11.4:1 compression from the factory.

Had a ball in that car....

Sounds like a great trip and I'm sure yinz guys will have a blast.
    Have fun,
    Bob

Here's our ride for the week. mustang.jpg

1967 Mustang coupe.
    351 Cleveland (.040" overbore)
    10.75:1 compression ratio
    BIG Comp Cams solid lift camshaft
    C6 transmission with 4500 rpm stall converter
    Ford 9" rear with 4.56:1 gears
    275/60R15 drag radials.

Let's just say it is quick, but thirsty. It will pass anything but a gas station.

Ron

Hope you packed a couple / few Jerry cans in the trunk!!
    From the sounds of it you're looking at a tank full maybe moving you 140 miles?... If you don't have your foot in it. For that arrangement to cruise around 70-75 mph and the stock 16 or 17 gallon tank?

I'm used to that with my old trucks but having the two extra saddle tanks gives me the illusion of decent mileage.

But like they say... Still beats walking. And when you get to the strips it ought to crank out a nice time...!

We've figured cruising @ 55-60 mph due to the 4.56 gears and relatively short rear tires. My share of the gas bill will be around $800 for the week. My share of the beer tab will be slightly higher than that.

Ron