Thread: Voltage regulation

Voltage regulation

Good day all!!

I am new to this forum however i hear its great and full of good engineers. I want to convert 90-270 volts into either 88 volts or 112. I was thinking about a buck converter due to the efficiency however i cannot find one that can take my vin min and vin max. Then i though of a voltage regulator however i cannot find one that will give me my min max. I also know that regulators that are built with resistors will lose lots of power due to heat dissipation and the voltage drop across the resistor may vary if voltage isnt constant. Plz anyone give me some ideas on what i can do to build this circuit using as least components as possible. Thanks

Technical Fellow
    The first thing you need to learn when dealing with professional Engineers is good communication. Currently a borderline grade F.

Input voltage 90-270 AC or DC?

Output voltage 88 or 112 AC or DC?
    Why can't you make up your mind on output voltage?

What operational current range are you looking at?

What kind of load is it? Inductive, resistive? What?

Why is the input voltage span so wide?

lol okay im sorry i guess...new to this no need to be harsh...
    however to answer your questions my input voltage is rectified AC to DC in the range of 90 vin min to 270 vin max. The output voltage is 112V DC (forget the 88). I want my operational current between the range of 15-25 mA DC. My load is resistive. And the input voltage is so large because of the operational conditions i want it to be able to perform at.

Technical Fellow
    Not being harsh, just reality for a grumpy old fart- OK? We get so many requests for help with only tiny amounts of information supplied, I get tired of "more info please," being my first response about 95% of the time.

No apologies from me as it gets tedious and you caught me at only the first coffee. In fact I have pretty much stopped responding to a lot of poorly worded requests.