Thread: Solar PV and Solar Thermal

Associate Engineer

Solar PV and Solar Thermal

Hi, I'm doing an engineering course, and in order to complete it, I have to do a project about a subject of my choice. I have chosen to research combining solar PV and solar thermal systems onto one panel. I know it has been done, with varied results. If someone could answer the following questions, I would be very grateful.

What conditions are best for PV and Thermal systems?
    Does the temperature of a PV panel affect the power output? If so, is it a significant change?
    What is the optimum temperature for a Thermal system?
    Do you (personally) think that it is feasible to combine the two, without major drawbacks (high maintenance, reduced lifespan, too low output etc.)?

(I have the answers for some of these, but I need to gather information from different sources so...)

Also, I know that is a bad idea with a lot of problems, but if the tubes in a solar thermal system were (somehow) sort of ... pv cells wrapped around into a tube shape, could it be possible to combine them that way? Please point out the flaws in my logic here, it will be very helpful.

Any reply will be appreciated

Any reply? Ok.

If I were your professor I would not count anything from an online general discussion forum as a "source". There is a difference between opinions and facts. Posting an online query is not "research". Now maybe someone on here can give you some tips or guidance as to where you might find some legitimate information, and that's fine. Networking is always good. The regular contributors to this forum will understand that I am not slamming them in any way when I say this: Do yourself a favor and do not count anything you read here as fact or even competent opinion. To use the detective vernacular, consider information from any forum as possible clues, but not evidence.

As far as the particulars of your inquiry I have no useful information or tips. But I'm sure others might.

Associate Engineer
    I would take any information gathered from this thread with a pinch of salt, of course. I won't rely on anything I find here, and I would only use it if is supported by my 'actual' sources. I just thought that no harm could be done by posting on here, and it could possibly raise some questions or topics of discussion for my interview later on in the project.

Thanks for your concern, and I will bear your warning in mind.