Thread: gage for 10-Degree Modified Square Thread

Associate Engineer

gage for 10-Degree Modified Square Thread

Hi guys,

I want a gage for my thread application but I had received no quote, the reason is because the thread is to big compared with the diameter (5 degree modified square thread;p=.096, D=.195, h .040). Since it is a lead screw application, I need it that way, I cannot change that relationship. My question is, do you now any good gage vendor? I had received no quote from 3 different gage makers, but I hope there is one out there better than these.

Thanks and best regards.

Rafael GM

Quote Originally Posted by rafazoide View Post
    I had received no quote from 3 different gage makers

No quote from three different gage makers? I'm assuming from your description that it cannot be built as specified. When gage-makers say they can't build something - it's tough or impossible.

Can you post the thread profile dimensional data on this forum? I suspect that you should really take a hard look at the thread geometry and try to redesign so that it so that a gage can be made by MOST gage-makers.

Westport... Used to be called Southern Gage. We've had "customs" made there a time or twenty.

Associate Engineer
    Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your reply,

Your assumtion is correct, this is one answer from a gage maker quoted "The combination of small diameter and high helix give this thread a lead angle of approximately 26°. This exceeds the 20° maximum helix capabilities of our equipment - unfortunately we have to "no quote". The other suppliers gave similar reasons, my guessing is that it should be a better or more capable gage maker capable of do this gage. Below I will share the profile that can NOT be modified. I can modify the profile to let say ACME butthis will not fix the lead angle, that can not be modified.

Any sugguestions?

Thank you!

Thread.jpg

Associate Engineer
    Thanks RWOLFEJR

I'll contact that vendor.

So, why can you not changes the design that three high precision manufacturing organizations cannot build?

I appreciate design requirements and constraints, however a design is not considered robust or optimal if it cannot be built by most qualified manufacturing organizations at a price that allows the end-item product to be cost effective.