Thread: Steel with similar corrosion characteristics of 6061 Al

Associate Engineer

Steel with similar corrosion characteristics of 6061 Al

Hello,

I am looking for a inexpensive steel alternative to 6061 Al.

Hopefully without stepping up to 304 stainless. The usage is in an indoor environment.

Let me know what you can think of

Thanks

Indoor environment? Why do you need corrosion similar to Al or SS?

Paint 1010 or 1020 carbon steel?

Or have a look at "COR-TEN" steel. If you don't mind a rusty look...

You haven't said what characteristic of 6061 Al is unacceptable. What's wrong with it for your application?

Associate Engineer
    Hello Jboggs,

I am looking for increased strength in the material switch.

6061 Aluminum is fantastic from the corrosion aspect. I am looking for a steel that would not develop a surface rust being used indoors (most likely stainless, or nickel plated) Just checking to see if a high nickel allow or something else existed that would work indoors with similar esthetics.

Thanks

In structural shapes? Have you contacted some steel suppliers?
    To my knowledge any carbon steel is eventually going to rust unless it has some surface treatment. Surface treatments applied before fabrication will allow corrosion at any cut. Have you considered composite materials, like fiberglass?

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by StructuralDefect View Post
    nickel plated
    Nickel plating is an after-market process. Use steel of the grade-strength you require and have it Nickel plated?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Nickel plating is an after-market process. Use steel of the grade-strength you require and have it Nickel plated?
    Anodizing can be attractive...

http://www.engineersedge.com/chromic_anodize.htm

First you ask about an inexpensive alternative to the 6061.... Then you say you are looking for increased strength in the material switch.

Don't know what form this piece takes or how many of them there are. If it's one piece then price wouldn't be as big a deal right? If it's thousands, then sure... cost is a big deal.

Some metals aren't easily bought in certain forms. So I say to myself.... "Self... Odds are this is some form of bar or tube since it's 6061."

Then there's the mystery of its purpose. It needs to look good and be strong so it is something folks can see while it's in place dealing with some sort of load. And for some reason it needs to be stronger now.

You say 6061 but don't mention what state it is in. Most likely it is in the T6 state but maybe not? So... If by some odd chance it is T0 or maybe T4 then your solution to both stronger and cheaper could be to buy your material in T6 state since most off the shelf will be this way and "as supplied" is typically cheaper. Your material is most likely T6 so let's move on.

Now back to the cosmetics of this / these parts. Aluminum in the raw isn't really all that attractive unless you're into dull silver. Could be that what you have is possibly polished? If that would be the case then you current parts are likely to be clear coated to prevent oxidation. If this is the case then it has me thinking that there wouldn't be any reason that a paint job wouldn't take care of replacing with something cheaper and stronger. You could polish vanilla steel and clear coat it to resemble what you have.

All this to say... A little more information couldn't hurt....

If it's just one part then go with 7075 T6 and you'll gain a lot of strength but you will add a bit to the cost.

I'd like to apologize in advance of the little bit of fun I'm gonna have here...

I think I just figured out what this mystery part is...
    Two words...
    First word two syllables.
    First word rhymes with "Gripper."
    Second word one syllable.
    Second word rhymes with "Mole."

You're looking for a lower cost alternative for a heavy duty "Gripper Mole."

Makes perfect sense... Paint would eventually rub off and rust wouldn't be a good thing... Little extra strength couldn't hurt in case maybe you wanted to incorporate a second "gripper" on the same "mole." Or maybe one of your "grippers" has put on a few pounds? Your current material would be polished nightly by the "grippers" so a clear coat wouldn't be necessary.

Either that or it's hand railing...

Sorry... Couldn't resist trying to solve the mystery...

Now there's a design project that would require extensive real-world testing!

I thought Gripper Moles were traditionally made of brass... not 6061-T6...

I may be wrong here...

Ron