Thread: Energy Through a Barrel of Liquid

Hitokiri03

Energy Through a Barrel of Liquid

Hello,

I am having a little trouble figuring out how to calculate how much force will be acting on some handrails on a stand. The setup consists of a barrel of liquid on a stand, X distance away from the handrails (between 0" and 3"), when a person of Y lbs trips and falls into the 55 gallon barrel filled with a liquid of known specifications. I have a maximum impact force rating for the handrails, but I don't know how to determine how much force would impact the rails in this case. I don't know if the liquid would have differing energy absorption or how the material property of the barrel itself would play into the equation. I also know the coefficient of friction of the stand flooring.
    Last edited by Hitokiri03; 09-11-2012 at 08:53 AM.

I have read your description four times and I still have no idea what you are talking about. A picture is worth a thousand words.

hitechengineering
    I am new this forum and hope I enjoy being here and resolve issues as and when they occur.

Hoping your humble support!

Regards
    James.

Principle Engineer
    I guess this one takes the cake.

A guy falling into a bucket of liquid channelled force getting to a handrail, etc, etc

Where do we get these "problems"?

Why doesn't the administrator "edit" or remove these esoteric inquiries that are not even remotely engineering problems

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri03 View Post
    Hello,

...when a person of Y lbs trips and falls into the 55 gallon barrel filled with a liquid of known specifications.
    I just lost it at this point. Why is this happening?

(please post a video of this scenario)