Thread: Three terminal high voltage zener diode

Three terminal high voltage zener diode

Good day all,

I am looking for a three terminal (zener based) shunt regulator IC that can handle at least 125V. If anyone knows where I can find it please post the url so that i can check the specs.

Thank you
    Last edited by abstraktkid; 09-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Interesting, I suspect that you really need a circuit that does the Zener Diode function you need. That voltage level seems high..

Good read: http://www.engineersedge.com/instrum...iode_10129.htm

Principle Engineer
    Kelly,

Are you aware that the advertising is affecting the word layout.

Your response is one character per line and the number of lines is equal to the number of characters. LIke

T
    h
    i
    s
    i
    s
    t
    r
    e
    s
    u
    lt

h

Could it be my browser ?

Can you be more specific? I've never seen vertical text while typing.. What browser are you using?

Principle Engineer
    Kelly,

Using firefox.

It happens only when an ad appears

Will try explorer next

Principle Engineer
    I tried Explorer and seems OK.

Maybe a quirk in Firefox.

Technical Fellow
    Firefox adheres rigidly to the W3 HTML rendering specifications, IE does not, in fact Msoft deliberately goes out of their way with their own websites to do things they think where W3 did not get it right and they make IE support their approach which is a lot less rigid.

I have been getting the same problem with Firefox, albeit not a single letter per line, but a bunch of very short lines, maybe 25 characters long per line.
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 09-13-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Well... not sure about those folks at validator.org - they claimed 26 errors with googles home page.. My home page only had 15 errors - I'm not better then Google programmers...

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...alidator%2F1.3

I think some of the errors reflect a misunderstanding and incomplete assessment of what the code does. For example the encoding error on

" <meta name="msvalidate.01" content="B2F12B4D501AECD1943B15F5A92B6713" />"

This is a resident validation code issued by Microsoft for anti-virus tracking and statistics. I t does nothing but be present and accounted for.

Most of the other errors are for carry-forward tracking code used in the links for the next link/command.

Another interesting error is on the folowing line:

…/adserve/adview.php?clientid=14&source=Store-small&n=a75362d9' border='0' alt=…

This code is php – or server side executed. It appears the the validator loaded the code/file yet did not signal that it was a browser causing the php code to not execute.

Which left out the php response code.

Well, back to the firefox issue - I can't get the symptoms on either of my computers using Firefox.

One of the greatest challenges any website operator has is browser compatibility.

I know on my laptop, I have Windows Vistas Business, IE 9 and I have a few strange cookie issues if I login to EE with different usernames. I actually have to close all my IE windows and start from scratch if I want everything to work correctly.

On my old tower I run Windows XP Professional 5.1.26 with IE version 8 – similar problems, however I would argue that the tower is less
    buggy with tracking cookies. Still have to shut everything down ans start over with a new login.

The thing about Firefox is all the addons people can get. Some of these addons can and do cause browsing problems.

The editor/post form that we use on EE forums has many javascript functions. The application is called “CKEditor” and it does have specific CSS functions depending on which java revision, browser type and revision one has.

Complicated stuff – I just use it out of the box...

So, why don't you Zeke and Dave visit the following webpage and copy and past the info to this thread.

http://www.engineersedge.com/ipaddress/

Here's mine...

Date: Thursday, 13-Sep-2012 11:33:22 EDT

User Remote Address (IP): 151.213.235.104

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/5.0)

More Browser Info - Javascript Capable

navigator.appName Microsoft Internet Explorer
    navigator.userAgent Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/5.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    navigator.appVersion 5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/5.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Resolution Info
    screen.width 1280
    screen.height 800
    document.body.clientWidth1259
    document.body.clientHeight606

Technical Fellow
    ...and here's mine. By the by, not a good idea to hand out your IP address. With a little trial and error your Ports can be probed. Depending on your Firewall, things may be compromised. The pic attached is what I see when I look at your last post Kelly.

Date: Thursday, 13-Sep-2012 12:07:53 EDT User Remote Address (IP): xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1

navigator.appName Netscape
    navigator.userAgent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
    navigator.appVersion 5.0 (Windows)
    Resolution Info

screen.width 1440
    screen.height 900
    document.body.clientWidth1163
    document.body.clientHeight789
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technical Fellow
    To add to the mystery, I have four add-ins and I am currently running in Safe Mode which disables all add-ins.
    The first pic is what I get when I tried to Edit my last post...
    The second pic is when I create a new Post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, I believe I know what's going on, I put that menu-advertising sidebar thingy on the thread web pages. It effectively shrinks the width of the text web page area squishing the edit box and depending on your screen size it could give a one liner.

This issue is not particularly evident on my old-man eyes a-failing w-i-d-e screen computers.

If you change the width of your browser window the edit/post box will scale.

I've removed the sidebar-advert. On the thread pages – let me how it works.

Technical Fellow
    Hi Kelly, OK, looking much better.

I don't set the screen size, I have Firefox maximized to monitor's native resolution, in this case 1440 x 900. I have the Bookmarks menu active on the left side which reduces the available forum viewing width to the 1163 you see below.

screen.width 1440
    screen.height 900
    document.body.clientWidth1163
    document.body.clientHeight789

I guess Zeke was using an even narrower Client Width setting so that's why he only got single character lines.

But, the good news is, everything is now viewable as expected. Well done sleuth-master. You can take the next two days off.

Principle Engineer
    Kelly,
    here's mine:
    Date: Friday, 14-Sep-2012 11:30:53 EDT

User Remote Address (IP): 76.222.80.226

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1

navigator.appName Netscape
    navigator.userAgent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
    navigator.appVersion 5.0 (Windows)
    Resolution Info
    screen.width 1056
    screen.height 792
    document.body.clientWidth951
    document.body.clientHeight644