Thread: Use of "TYP" in drawings

Associate Engineer

Use of "TYP" in drawings

I was told that the use of "TYP" for a typical dimension is not longer accepted practice and to be replaced with a #X for the number of times that dimension is used.
    I thought it was "TYP" for dimensions and (#X) for a quantity like number of holes or slots?
    I know it is a unwritten use but is it now considered wrong to use it?
    Thanks
    Steven

Yes, TYP is not an accepted drawing practice for MIL-T-31000 based documents (military, and similar organizations).

However, organizations may adopt the use of TYP (Typical) if they choose to do so. Many commercial, non-military orgnizations use TYP in the place of the number or count..

Project Engineer
    Besides the MIL standard, the Y14.5 standard (used throughout most non-military ********** in North America) also doesn't mention TYP as an accepted practice. It was common years ago, but I know for sure since the 1982 standard it isn't mentioned once; the standard uses "X".

zbear
    All the ASME Y14.5 & MIL-STD info noted previously is correct, for Engineering Drawings. The exception is that "TYP" is an accepted standard for multiple identical weld symbols; Source AWS A2.4:2007, section 5.11.3.