Thread: Text callout for stamping/engraving

Question Text callout for stamping/engraving

One of our customers has requested numbering to be stamped or engraved into some formed sheetmetal pieces we offer. These numbers require specific location, depth and size. This is the first time I have been asked to include this information on a drawing and am wondering if you all could point me in the right direction as to how to correctly call out the font, location, depth and size of the lettering.

Also, if you know of any way to include the text in a Solid Edge sheetmetal document without chewing up a lot of file space, I am open to suggestions... I had no idea how big the file would get with only 44 numbers, but WOW! It's HUGE!

Thanks,

Ron

Back in my corporate days we would use:

1. A rectangle phantom lined box with a note (flag or delta with an arrow point to box) indicating the requirement (Size, etc.).
    2. A phantom line box with a distance dimension and tolerance and a note indicating size
    3. For machined parts, Solid Edge (version 14) there is (was?) a macro that could be used to create custom text for machining. Combine with dimensions
    4. A note and arrow indicating location:

“ VIBRO-PEEN” or “VIBRO-ETCH” PART NUMNBER XXXX-1, USING .25” LETTERS AT APPROXIMATE LOCATION SHOWN.

Kelly,

Thanks for the info. Very helpful, indeed.

The macro is still available, but the file size when finished is "large by huge". Thanks, though.

Don't know about SolidEdge. but Solidworks will let you place what they call a "decal" on a surface, really any image file. Solidworks will also allow you to use text as a sketch from which to extrude a cut or an emboss. Haven't noticed that it creates huge files doing it.

For my money this is one of those instances where the complete physical appearance of an object does not have to be represented graphically in the drawing, kind of like drawing screw threads. The only purpose of the drawing is to convey all the information required to produce a part that meets the specifications, right? Fake it and move on. Just give the machinists all the information they need.

jb,

I agree with you 100% regarding the manufacturing of this product using the drawings... but it seems my customer would like to have some "eye candy"....

Thanks for the help!

Ron

Well the customer is always ri... well, always the customer.
    So just create that large file for that good and valid purpose. And delete it after you're done with it.

Kelly,

Based on your recommendations, I was able to provide the engraver with satisfactory information to finish the parts. I appreciate your help.

Ron