Thread: How to specify engraving on part

Associate Engineer

Question How to specify engraving on part

I am adding engraved (or machined) characters on a part and do not have a reference on how to specify the characters so I can get repeatable results when I send the parts out to build. The characters are numbers 1 thru 6 and the word MIR. Character height .25in. and they are located at specific locations on the part to identify features.
    Any help appreciated.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by 89North View Post
    I am adding engraved (or machined) characters on a part and do not have a reference on how to specify the characters so I can get repeatable results when I send the parts out to build.
    In the absence of sufficient information to be specific, you need to define what is important to you.

Font.
    Single-line or outline.
    Letter height = 0.25" <-- well, at least that was easy
    Leading if two lines are vertically adjacent to each other.
    Kerning if the letters are horizontally adjacent to each other.
    Method of "engraving" e.g. laser, machined with a cutter, heat ribbon stamped etc.
    ..If machined with a cutter
    ...."v" or Straight or ball-end or what?
    ....Diameter of cutter.
    ....Max flat at the base of the "v".
    ....Included "v" angle.
    ....Max and min cut depth.
    If the lettering is on an arc, whether it is base-line, center line or top aligned.

The list could go on for each important parameter. If a parameter is not important to YOU, then don't state it as it will just add unnecessary expense in conforming to specifications.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I **will** guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks, that helps!