Thread: Notch reinforced concrete beam

Associate Engineer

Notch reinforced concrete beam

Hi,

I need one help and hoping anyone can help me. How to do a notch on reinforced concrete beam, since the bending reinforcement lay at the bottom of the beam?

Thanks

How much cover do you have and how deep does the notch have to go? What is the notch for? Would it be easier to re-design the reinforcement with the notch in mind? Do we need tin foil hats?

Sorry for all the questions but the opening post is quite vague; A quick statement outlining what it is you propose to do would really help.

"Cake of Doom" -> that just might be my favorite username....

It was a predictive text brain fart that came up with it and it's just stuck. It was either that or Kendo soap sud.
    Last edited by Cake of Doom; 10-08-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Because I can!

Associate Engineer

Bang Head

Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    How much cover do you have and how deep does the notch have to go? What is the notch for? Would it be easier to re-design the reinforcement with the notch in mind? Do we need tin foil hats?

Sorry for all the questions but the opening post is quite vague; A quick statement outlining what it is you propose to do would really help.
    thanks form replying and sorry for the late respond.. cover will be 30mm, the notch depth is vary depending on the specimens size. the notch is for the pre-crack purposed. to control the crack occurrence..to design the notch with rebars inside is quite hard, since the notch will go almost reaching the mid of the beam depth...meaning the d will be smaller if take it in consideration in design...i'm stuck here.....