Thread: The Vice Presidential Debate Tonight...

The Vice Presidential Debate Tonight...

I just realized that I will only have about four hours after work today to figure out how to make my TV do the "picture in a picture" thing so I can watch the debate and keep an eye on the football game.

Funny thing... I can't remember the last time I was excited about an upcoming television broadcast like I am about tonight's vice presidential debate...? Who'd a ever thought that anything political could ever have so high a possibility of being entertaining?

Watching this debate will sort of be like the fun of watching somebody try to walk across smooth wet ice. You cringe as they attempt it and even though you don't really want to see the person get hurt... the excitement in watching is that potential of the big spill. If you're really lucky you'll get to witness some frantic flailing about prior to either a miraculous recovery... or a spectacular fall. Either way it's something that's hard to watch but you can't turn your eyes away from it.

So grab your snacks and some brews and get yourself a good seat for the show. It should be a doozy...!

Oh and the traditional sign off...
    My name's Bob and I approve this message...

So, you will football on the small screen?

Yes, this is likely the first series of presidential debates I have and will watch.

Yep the Steelers on the small screen. They play 16 games a season minimum but something like this particular debate only comes around ...??

I'm Bob and I approve this message...

Technical Fellow
    As usual, I will wait until tomorrow and read the news. I believe everything I read in the news.

I'd rather watch a blank screen than any Political debate. They only say what they think the listener wants to hear. None of it ever makes it to Policy.

My friends used to say I was too cynical, but I think I am past all that now.

Well that was a let down... Somebody must've thrown sand on the ice...!
    In fact the entire evenings viewing was a bummer. Steelers lost and no comical wipe outs in the debate.

The highlight of the evening was the double cheese pizza with pepperoni and hot peppers on half. (Dog gets a couple pieces so no peppers for his...) And a couple frosty Bud's...

My name is Bob and I approve this message...

Technical Fellow
    Well, Bob, now I guess I don't even need check the news.

What about onion in the pizza sauce base? Not good for doggies kidneys. When I share a lunch time burger, I first lick off all the onion.

My name is Dave and I rarely approve of anything I say.

Hi Dave...
    Thanks for the heads up on the onions in the sauce. He doesn't get much but didn't think the sauce would've had onions. I'm not much of a cook. I did learn about the effects of onions on a dog quite a few years back... the hard way. Gave my bloodhound "Buddy" some left over stew that I dug out of the corners of a big roaster of the stuff. You know... the part that gets a little crispy in the corners of the roaster towards the end of a batch. Well it didn't really seem to hurt him as far as looking physically ill or anything, but whooo-wee...! Did he stink the house up....! I'd known about onions and chocolate and grapes being bad for them but didn't consider the couple onions I'd thrown into the stew. Even as cooked down as the onions were it was an amazing reaction it had on his system. He was fine after a while but he made my eyes water for a few hours.

Back when I was a kid we gave our dog pretty much anything that was leftover that would be heading into the garbage. Chicken parts and bones... chocolate... pretty much whatever I ate the dog got a little too. Never really picked up on any issues but then again had the dog wandered off to lay down a while it wouldn't have sounded any alarms in my head.

I've since learned about the risks and now take more care in what I give my dog. Yes I know many will say... and all vets will say "no people food is good for a dog..." But I look at it this way. My dog is large and big dogs don't get a very long tour on average. So I figure if his tour has risk of being rather short it might as well be an excellent ride. I order his burgers "plain" and he gets the boneless chicken strips cubed up when I'm attacking a batch of hot wings!! He gets plenty of run around time and is a happy healthy dog. Come to think of it... he eats way better than I do...? In fact his whole lifestyle is a fine example that I should aspire to emulate! If I could find pleasure in chasing squirrels up a tree that'd be a good start.

Technical Fellow
    Bob, I am with you on feeding the dog some human stuff. Even if his tour of duty may be short, and mine is a biggish dog too, I still feed him some human food. Just a bit hysterical about the onions and chocolate. Not so overly concerned about a grape or two, but I have bags of tiny crackers called "Oyster crackers." When I impulse-snack stuff he can't have, like grapes, I give him an Oyster cracker each time my hand goes to my mouth. He seems to think it is the same as I am eating.

In Wendy's I order a plain junior-burger for him but at the golden arches I get the Macdouble and lick off the onions and pickle from the bottom bun.

I often remind him he is the best fed dog in the US, but after reading your last post, I will have to make that "the other best fed dog in the US."

He is fit and healthy, perfect weight for size and age, gets lots of exercise, no squirrels, but plenty of rabbits, native rats and mice. He is doing good and life for us both is good. I have two best friends in the World, but don't tell the SO that she is #2.

So... what does it say about our politics when a discussion of what and how and where we feed our dogs overshadows the Vice Presidential debate?
    A Steelers game? OK, I can understand that, but the pros and cons of the effects of pizza sauce on our dogs tummies?
    Hmm...

Technical Fellow
    And all of life is as it should be.

Oh, and by the way what's a "Steeler?"

[QUOTE=
    Oh, and by the way what's a "Steeler?"[/QUOTE]

Well I can tell you what probably won't be a Steeler soon... Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Alameda Ta'amu... He got himself liquored up and then the moron decided to try to out run the law in a traffic stop and played pinball off of several cars with his SUV going the wrong way down a one way street. Once he slammed the last car and couldn't move... for some reason he took off his shirt then ran. Guess he thought he'd be harder to see or maybe he thought they'd figure he was some "other 6'3" 350 lb. guy."

22 year old fourth round draft pick with high potential at nose tackle... or any other line position I'm sure. Now he has something like 15 charges against him and some are felonies. Wah... wah... wah... waaaaaaahhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by jboggs View Post
    So... what does it say about our politics when a discussion of what and how and where we feed our dogs overshadows the Vice Presidential debate?
    Oh... yes... we digress...

So the first of the "town hall" style presidential debates tonight. And no other things on my plate to challenge for my attention. Other than the pork & kraut that's in the crock pot and I have some nice early potatoes to cut up and mash... with a ton of butter. Mmmmmm... I leave the thin hides on those early potatoes and just cut 'em up and boil 'em. I call them dirty potatoes. And yes "Bubba" will get some of the spuds... but no sauerkraut...

Oops... there I go again. Somehow even my dinner manages to overshadow the debate.

But if you believe all the adds on the TV (duh) for all the positions up for election... Then none of the candidates are any good. Apparently all of the candidates have it out for the elderly and Medicare... want to make cuts in kids schooling... sink social security... have no understanding of basic math... send U.S. jobs overseas... and kill babies.

Hmmmm How did we get stuck with these options? Can we ask for a do-over or a mulligan?

Well it ought to be interesting anyway. We get to once again see if they can think on their feet tonight.

My name is Bob and I approve this message...