Thread: HNC Course Help?

Associate Engineer

HNC Course Help?

Hi, next year I will be starting my HNC, I'm looking to get ahead by getting some books to read up on before I start so I'd like advice on some helpful Engineering Books please?

Glad to help. Step 1: make sure you communicate clearly.

What is HNC?

HNC = Higher National Certificate. Equivalent to the first 2 years(?) of a Bachelors Degree in the UK.

Have you seen your course module list yet? I'd start with that and do some preliminary research about the topics you're unsure of. What type of engineering is it you're studying?

Here's what I found on possible meanings of HNC...

Acronym Definition
    HNC Higher National Certificate (UK)
    HNC Head and Neck Cancer
    HNC Hockey Night in Canada
    HNC Honey Nut Cheerios (cereal)
    HNC Hopkins-Nanjing Center (US/China joint educational program)
    HNC Hypernetted Chain Approximation
    HNC Huntsville Engineering Support Center (Army Corps of Engineers)
    HNC Hentai Ninja Clan
    HNC Hecht-Nielsen Neurocomputing Corporation
    HNC Hazardous Nomad Co-Op (gaming clan)
    HNC Hawks Network Corporation
    HNC Huddersfield Narrow Canal (UK)

I'd guess it's probably the first acronym? From what I could find it seems this is a level of achievement that can be attained in a variety of fields. It looks like it's a program designed to focus on a specific course of study to rapidly put a person in a position to get work in a particular field. Maybe I read it wrong? There was another level they called HND I think it was? Looks like it's a European thing?

Anyway... If this is indeed the correct acronym then a person would need to ask what specific field are you going to be studying? But you said engineering books so maybe this course you're going to study is more of an overall look into it.

I'd highly recommend that you get yourself a copy of "Machinery's Handbook." You don't need to get a brand new copy or the latest edition necessarily because not much has changed. That is to say... if you can find a used book for less money that is a couple volumes older, it will have nearly the exact same information in it.

Pretty much anything they're going to teach you will be in this book in some way shape or form. It is a great book to have around. I keep a copy at home and at work...!

Good luck!!
    Bob

Oh... and Hi. And Welcome to the forum...!

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the welcome

It is the Higher National Certificate in Engineering and the HND is after the HNC

I'm not sure on any of the modules yet as they won't be released for around 8months but I think it will be close enough to what I did last year so at a guess it will be
    Engineering Based Maths
    Mechanical Principles
    Materials / Metallurgy
    and some Business.

I will take a look for the book you mentioned thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RWOLFEJR View Post
    I'd highly recommend that you get yourself a copy of "Machinery's Handbook."
    I'd never heard of this till I started cruising this forum; now I love it to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by RWOLFEJR View Post
    Oh... and Hi. And Welcome to the forum...!
    ^^And this^^