Thread: Career Advice

afidget

Career Advice

I am a recent grad, just trying to figure out some options at the moment. One of the things that I have been thinking about is what are the advantages of having a MS degree in engineering industry? Is there any particular preference over a job candidate with a Masters of Science vs. a candidate that has the MEng, I believe they term that the Masters of Engineering degree?

I have heard previously that many engineers with master's wind up in management, and while that may or may not be the general case, I was just hoping to get insight from more professionals.

Thanks for your input.

Technical Fellow
    Welcome to the forum,

Lemme try for a simple answer from a simple person. I guess if you have to ask, then an MS is probably better for you.

I think I can speak for most Engineers here by saying, we obtain the relevant qualifications to pursue our core interest which is messing with mechanical things. If you have that built in love and natural aptitude for things mechanical from a very early age, and again I think I can speak for most Engineers here, that love first surfaced around age five, then you will not be happy being a hands-on Engineer.

I have never, in forty-plus years of Engineering, met an Engineer who was naturally good (read; competent) at Engineering, getting into any branch of Engineering for the money or career path.

Just one old fart's opinion.