Thread: Help with designing a mechanical vulture

Associate Engineer

Help with designing a mechanical vulture

Hi everyone.
    I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm studying 3d modelling and animation and am doing a major project, where I'm modelling a mechanical vulture. It has to make sense and work mechanically, but since I'm no engineer or mechanic, the designing phase is proving to be difficult for me. Thing is, it has to be able to move its neck, open and close its bill and spread its wings and tailfeathers. The wing arms are made from the arms of a lamp and the neck is to be a hose or a tube of metal and inside it will be the mechanism to operate it. The source of power will be in the central region such as inside its rib cage. I don't know how it's best to connect everything to this power, the wings, beak and neck and the tail. It can be powered by anything that works really, whether it would be electrical or steam or whatever. I could send also reference images and such if anyone is interested in aiding me.
    Thank you

Technical Fellow
    Siggi,

What you are asking is a huge task for anyone to help with, basically designing a machine for you to model. Also, helping you with homework (your request would be regarded as such) is outside our TOS. However, if you were to develop some approaches to attaching parts to other parts and then post here with "will this connection work," and make them specific questions and you may get some better assistance.

Associate Engineer
    well the idea is to really consult with someone rather than letting them handle all the design. The objective isn't to make it that complicated. Any input would be helpful, like if anyone could point out to me an example of a power source to use. I've already modelled a bit of it, but the central region is proving to be an obstacle. If I would say, make it a steampunk style, what kind of power source could I look at etc.

Siggi,

Have you tried [insert preferred search engine here]-ing animatronics kits? That should give you a good idea where to start.