Thread: Cold storage lighting

Engineer

Cold storage lighting

I am in the process of *designing a cold storage room, where should I provide the disconnect switch for the evaporating coolers (2 nos) and lighting fixtures. Should it be inside the cold storage room or outside.*

The light fixtures on/off switch could be both in and out of the cold storage room.

The evaporating coolers "disconnect" should be very close to the equipment as service technicians will need easy access for saftey reasons.

Technical Fellow
    To my thinking, any electrical connections, solenoids, switches, breakers, contactors, etc on the outside are not going to be subject to condensation, so put as much as you can outside to minimize maintenance issues. Then moisture seal everything that has to be inside.

Engineer
    I am afraid, guess work won't do, if you people have got a chance to work on it or have seen the cold storage, or would be great if any relevant codes could be referred. Weather proof switches are available but I just want to know the standard practices in this regard. Thanks

My code book is antique. I'm no real help but I'll throw this out there. Years ago I dabbled in some things that "electricians" threw together that I wanted to bring up to code. Maybe best to contact a local electrician to cover your A$$...? Don't want to have issues then only be able to say... "some person on the internet told me this was the way to do it." With the electrician you have a name and his business card should anything not be up to snuff?

With a little digging...
    Looks like a walk in cooler or refrigerated room is supposed to meet regulations covered under Chapter 5 of the National Electric Code discussing "special occupancy." The rules on what is required also varies depending on if it's a class 1, ... 2, ... or 3 application. The classes depend on odds that the stuff inside might explode or burn. Gas, dust, etc...

Also... again not solid info... But years ago I worked at a place with about 5 walk-in coolers and all of them had their disconnects outside the units. I'm certain of those units only. They were "store bought" commercial units in a big city that liked to inspect everyone now and then.

Good Luck,
    Bob

Engineer
    Thanks Bob, the only concern is that DS should not get effected by the inside moisture thanks anyway.

Associate Engineer
    Hansy I can not tell where you are from but in Canada disconnect switches for hermetic refrigerant motor compressors are to be within 3 meters and in sight of the compressor. I do not imagine the compressor will be visible from inside the unit.
    I could double check my code (Canadian/Ontario) but I believe devices in the unit will just have to be protected to water/moisture