Thread: emi rfi health hazard

Associate Engineer

emi rfi health hazard

Inside the device (flat screen monitor, in this case), the PC boards are covered with metal enclosures with small holes. Holes for cooling I presume. Small holes to prevent rfi interference I presume, just like the holes in the metal door of a microwave oven. The holes smaller then a microwave, to stop them from passing thru and cooking the people in the kitchen. My question regards the metal PCB cover inside the monitor. Are the holes to prevent interference from getting in or out? Is it a health hazard to use monitor w/o the pcb covers?

Does 'small holes' mean 'mesh'? Don't forget that there are high voltages present in monitors - a mesh cover may be intended to prevent accidental contact and electric shock.

EMI performance is a black art - my experience is that various known measures are used to ensure a device passes a test. There's a test for emissions, and one for susceptibility. Because the testing is expensive, there can be a tendency to blanket the problem in the interest of expediency as opposed to detailed design based on engineering. 'Suck and see' engineering.

Associate Engineer
    its running fine now with the plastic and metal covers removed.