Thread: Underground chilled water piping !

Engineer

Underground chilled water piping !

I have to embed around 15 meters of chilled water supply and return lines. I will give them min two coates to epoxy paint, insulate them with rigid fiber glass pipe insulation having vapor barrier over it, and finally wrap around the whole length with denso tape. Please do share if I have missed something. *I have read somewhere that pipe should be painted with two coats of zinc chromate, does it give a better protection against moisture. Thanks

I don't know what you're doing with this but could you just use galvanized pipe and skip the paint? If it's water for consumption I suppose the galvanized pipe is probably frowned on nowadays. But hey... everyone needs a little zinc in their diet anyway right?

Far as your insulation goes I'm not so sure how well that'll work? Maybe it'd be easier to wrap your pipe and then run it through some pvc or the like and have a sealed / glued barrier from ground moisture?

Your question on the other thread... electricians putty or "duck seal" or whatever it's called is what I've always used for lines running into a building.

Good Luck,
    Bob