Thread: Is there any specific Pressure gauge for air,water,gas or vapor Pressure ???

Associate Engineer

Is there any specific Pressure gauge for air,water,gas or vapor Pressure ???

because i saw sometimes there are Pressure Gauges that has a liquid inside on it ? regardless it is from water or air pipeline ?

TIA

Associate Engineer
    The liquid you are referring to is GLYCERINE and it is used to stablize the needles which otherwise after a period will start vibrating / give erratic display. It is just like a shock absorber.

Associate Engineer
    nice info

so it doesnt matter where you are going to apply this gauge with glycerene inside whether on a gas tank,water tank ,air pipe line, hydraulic or pneumatic machines ??

Technical Fellow
    To some degree that is correct, but if corrosion is an issue you may need a gauge specifically made to resist corrosion damage. For example, air and water may cause rust in some gauge internals.

If you were pumping and monitoring Sulfuric Acid, I am sure just "any" gauge would not survive very long.

Best idea is to consult the gauge manufacturer if it is a specialty fluid. Pressure is pressure not matter what the fluid involved. It is the environment that will change and define the correct gauge for the job.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I *will* guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.

Associate Engineer
    These gauges are used typically. i.e. for water lines, pressure vessels, etc. For corrosive environments, you have stainless steel gauges, again filled with glycerine. For flammable areas you have to refer to the OEM, who will be in a better position to tell you if GLYCERINE is OK or NOT.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks a lot for a nice replies

BTW....who is Dave ??