Thread: AHU with built in sound attenuators

Engineer

AHU with built in sound attenuators

Are there any such AHUs avialable which have built in sound attenuators. Meaning inside the AHU body, immediately after the blower fan...there is sound attenuators. Thanksj

Hi Hasny,
    Yep... There are folks building units that are attenuated.

Type attenuated AHU in your search engine and some will pop up. Or you could pretty much pick a manufacturer and see what they offer as I'd expect all major manufacturers of air handeling units offer quiet lines for customers that require such units.

Engineer
    Thanks, any idea where they are located inside AHU, and must have great impact on the static pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasny View Post
    Thanks, any idea where they are located inside AHU, and must have great impact on the static pressure.
    Hi Hansy,
    The devices they use to quiet the fans or blowers down are located right after the blowers. The object in their design is to both quiet the unit down... and do it without large pressure drops. Each manufacturer has their own methods or devices to place in-line to reduce noise and I'm sure they're always looking to build a better mouse trap so to speak. Some that I saw with a quick search looked a lot like a typical heat exchanger you'd see in most gas furnaces today. The type that are sort of shaped like the wing of an airplane. I'd suppose these "wings" might be made from perforated metal and possibly foam or fiber filled? Don't know... My experience with sound deadening is very limited.

You might want to do a search on "noise cancellation technology." There may be manufacturers of air handling units utilizing "antinoise" to drop noise levels. Apparently these noise canceling gadgets work best on lower frequencies. I don't know much about it but recall seeing articles on this maybe as long as twenty years ago. I'd guess there'd be next to zero pressure losses if quieting the fan noise down with this method?

Like I mentioned before... If you do a quick search "attenuated AHU" the first page on my search engine had sites with sectioned views of some systems showing a fair amount of detail. I didn't read much of the accompanying text though... could be more detail on the system described in the text...?

Good Luck,
    Bob