Thread: Alternate adhesion test for epoxy paint in a recessed groove

Associate Engineer

Alternate adhesion test for epoxy paint in a recessed groove

I'm looking for a verifiable method of testing adhesion of non-metallic epoxy paint in a mill-etched groove (depth = 0.35 mm) to aluminum (7075). We cannot validate the process due to time constraints, and we cannot use the accepted method of adhesion testing (tape test/peel test per ASTM B 571) because the paint cannot be properly accessed in the groove.

Technical Fellow
    First thought that pops to mind is soft-media (baking soda etc) blasting. Set up peel/tests and develop some result for relative soda blasting. Monitor supply air pressure, maybe humidity, distance from sample, time to strip to different degrees of transparency until the paint is gone. Maybe quantify transparency using an electronic-based coating thickness meter.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I *will* guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 06-12-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Dyslexics of the world untie

"I'm looking for a verifiable method of testing adhesion of non-metallic epoxy paint in a mill-etched groove (depth = 0.35 mm) to aluminum (7075). We cannot validate the process due to time constraints, and we cannot use the accepted method of adhesion testing (tape test/peel test per ASTM B 571) because the paint cannot be properly accessed in the groove."

Hi and welcome to the Forum....if you cannot validate process due to time and validate the test...why bother validating anything. Find time to do it right or IT will come back to haunt you. If anything I would build the part in it's assembly...not sure what the groove does but if air or water goes thru it set it up to run it thru. Just put the groove in it's natural environment for a period of time to see what happens.

Good Luck