Thread: Steel plate deflection

Associate Engineer

Steel plate deflection

Hi Experts

I am looking to create a rectangle pressure tank. 12 inches x 12 inches x 96 inches.

I would like to understand how thick the steel plate would need to be to have minimal deflection under 100PSI

I invision using two wider plates so an adequate weld can be done along edges.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts

Bill

Technical Fellow
    Hi Bill,

Flat sided pressure vessels are not a favorite of any design. Can you not use a pipe of similar volume?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Hi Bill,

Flat sided pressure vessels are not a favorite of any design. Can you not use a pipe of similar volume?

Thanks for your interest. I can not use a pipe for this application. I understand the difficulty of this type of vessel compared to a pipe.

It is difficult to find information and I need some help.

Thanks Bill

Technical Fellow
    Bill, there is a dearth of information for obvious reasons when trying to make a flat-sided pressure vessel. Many things need to be considered for the design, the working temperatures, internal or external bracing, safe working pressure (100-psi) will be around 1/2 design pressure, pressure relief valves and settings, safety-burst panel(s), material grade, material preparation prior to welding, rust accumulation and metal degradation over time, weld security, all 32-feet of it by a Certified Welder, then X-Ray validating etc. The list will go on and on.

Also you need to consider local Codes and Certification of pressure vessels for your County/State.

IF you are still hell-bent on flat plate, then I suggest you contact a local Engineer for design. It is a project slathered with risks.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for your suggestions

Bill

Principle Engineer
    What is the medium, liquid or gas and what temperatures?

Associate Engineer
    Hi

The gas is compressed air. Operating range would be 70-85 degrees F.

Thanks for your interest

Bill

Principle Engineer
    Bill,

This not just welding plates together. If that were done , you would need plates in excess of 1 inch thickness range to sustain the stress alone.

You need a structural professional to design support straps, etc, not something we do here.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for everyones response.

Bill