Thread: Load on rollers

Confused Load on rollers

The crane nose we make has 11x, 2.5" ø rollers. The design load is 8000lbs. The crane starts at horizontal and max out at 30° elevation. What's the rationale for distributed load on each roller?
    I am making an analogy with load on a "drum" with horizontal pulling and vertical load, T1 = T2 and the load on the drum is the "vector resultant load" @ 45° = 11,313lbs. If a second drum is added, the Tension values is still the same but the resultant is different because the angle is different. Suppose the two drums are placed so the tension angles are for both drums at 135° then the "vector resultant load" @ 135° = 6,123lbs. Following this rationale the calculation would be the same with the angle as variable. And instead of having a heavy large drum the crane nose can have instead several smaller "drums" or rollers each one carrying an "angular" fraction of the main load. Am I going in the right direction here?

I would appreciate any advise.

Technical Fellow
    Welcome, but one or more diagrams of what you are seeking will be beneficial in getting some useful responses. I for one, cannot make out exactly what you are after.

A picture paints a thousand words and several pictures, many, many more words.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Welcome, but one or more diagrams of what you are seeking will be beneficial in getting some useful responses. I for one, cannot make out exactly what you are after.

A picture paints a thousand words and several pictures, many, many more words.
    Two pictures were attached... I think.

I am trying to add two images of the crane nose. Hope it did work.

Technical Fellow
    Nope, nothing attached. Pay attention to the file-size list for different file types. ".jpg" etc. If the files are larger than the defined limits they will not be attached.

If all else fails, try the instructions here...
    http://www.engineersedge.com/enginee...e-Instructions

Filea are here. Fanny that the suggested instructions wer not showing the files under attachments and the files after "uploaded" were showing a red ! at their side. There was error msg. Only when I used the "basic version" it worked well.

Thanks you for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images