Thread: Help! Thread terminology!

Associate Engineer

Confused Help! Thread terminology!

I feel a little stupid having to resort to a forum for this! (But hey, I'm in my first year of work.)

I have designed a barrel assembly for a paintball gun. It consists of two tubes that screw together. Not terribly complicated at all. However, when fully tightened there are details on the two parts that need to line up. What is this called?! I know the threads have to be (blank.) I've racked my brain and Googled my brains out with no results.

Technical Fellow
    It's OK, we all get blocks like that. The older you get the more you get.

The word(s) you are searching for is "Registered," "Register" or "Registration."
    Last edited by PinkertonD; 12-27-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    It's OK, we all get blocks like that. The older you get the more you get.

The word(s) you are searching for is "Registered," "Register" or "Registration."
    which is not an easy thing to do reliably with most typical threaded parts.

More info please?

Technical Fellow
    Yup, JB is correct. I thought some more about this and wondered if you have given it enough design thought. There are many better ways to have threaded items aligned precisely. Cutting threads to arrrive at the desired tightness, air/gas/waterproof-ness, alignment etc is not an easy or good thing for production considerations.

Perhaps as JB suggests, giving us a sketch of what you are trying to achieve and we can provide some alternative considerations. Given the mess the "experts" made of the Patent system a couple of years back, be careful in divulging important stuff. It is no longer enough to be the mere-inventor in order to lodge/steal /claim the Patent rights.

Ahhh progress, alas, but I remember it well.

Associate Engineer

It absolutely would not let me upload my own file. (Probably not the best that technology and I go head to head a lot, huh?) But this barrel (which I hold zero claim to and is made and sold by JT Paintball) is a good example of failing at what I am trying to do.

$(KGrHqZHJBwE9rfwHlwCBPcInK43Cw~~60_3.JPG

The holes in the front should line up with the cutouts in the back. I have about 7 barrel assemblies sitting on my desk that do just that and I cannot see where they have done anything other than register the threads. (I would gladly show pictures if it would let me upload them!)

If you guys have any suggestions as to how I could do this easier/more efficiently I am all about it! I am not looking forward to trying to communicate this to our new Chinese supplier who works exclusively off of 2D drawings.

Technical Fellow
    Hi again,

Make sure the file size is within the limits set in the table on the upload page. Also try using the "Basic" version of the loader. I and several others here can only upload using that Basic one for some reason, but it works fine for me.

Providing your manufacturer has the CNC lathe equipment such that the thread start-point with the relative position of the part clamped in a jig within the main chuck always coincide, then they probably will not have a registration problem.

If it ain't broke...?

Or -- what things different are you trying to achieve?

Could the drilling or slotting have been done after the two pieces were torqued together?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Hi again,

Make sure the file size is within the limits set in the table on the upload page. Also try using the "Basic" version of the loader. I and several others here can only upload using that Basic one for some reason, but it works fine for me.

Providing your manufacturer has the CNC lathe equipment such that the thread start-point with the relative position of the part clamped in a jig within the main chuck always coincide, then they probably will not have a registration problem.

If it ain't broke...?

Or -- what things different are you trying to achieve?
    Phew that's a relief. It sounded as if registration was hard to achieve. In that case I do not believe I need to come up with another option. It shouldn't be too hard to explain across the language barrier. I mostly just wanted to make sure I knew what to call it! (Whether or not the technical term crosses the language barrier remains to be seen...) Thanks!