Thread: Microstation vs Autocad

Senior Engineer

Microstation vs Autocad

What are the differences between Microstation and Autocad?

I have a friend who is going to take Microstation 3D this Winter term. She has already taken Microstation 2D and has the program available at her finger tips. We sometimes study together, (She is continuing her education, planning on earning her MS in civil engineering, while I am earning my BS in mechanical engineering). So basically after she takes the class I will also be able to learn how to use Microstation 3D as well.

With my little experience with Microstation 2D, I noticed when you put your cursor on top of a line you drew it doesn't immediately tell you the dimension of that line. I pointed this out to my friend who is continuing her education. Whenever I learn how to use any type of program like Excel or Matlab I notice small flaws as in the designers should have made the program easier to use. That is my opinion though.

Which do you prefer, Autocad or Microstation?

Is Microstation a useful tool? While I have the opportunity to learn how to use it should I take advantage of it? Thanks in advance!

So, what versions of Autocad and Micro Station are we talking about?

I used Micro Station 5.0 back about 17 years ago...

Phil Chouinard
    Yes, as Kelly mentions, knowing the specific releases/versions would be helpful. Regardless, if you are using a current release of MicroStation V8i, there is a good deal of information available in Help > Contents that should help get you going.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 01-03-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: removed signature, email and affiliation - read the rules...

Senior Engineer
    Hmmm good question. I will get back to you later on that.

Senior Engineer
    My friend is using Microstation V8i.

My experience in industry (mechanical and Aerospace) is that Autocad and Inventor are the most desirable CAD packages to be experienced with. I do think Microstation is used most in CIVIL and Architectural applications.

Currently, I believe Sold Works is the most used CAD system on the market.