Thread: High School student needing resources for an engineering design exam

Associate Engineer

High School student needing resources for an engineering design exam

Hello everybody,

I am currently a senior in high school and a future major in either mechanical or computer engineering. For 2 years, I have taken the engineering graphics exam for WYSE and have placed in regionals each time but do not place in the sectionals round. For those who do not know what WYSE is, it is a academic competition of test taking. Since this is my last year in high school, I want to make it passed sectionals if possible. What that means is that I need to find resources/books/e-books that would cover just the simple basics of each topic. Preferably cheap too so no $50+ college textbooks please.

Provided are the image files of the 2010 sectionals exam I took as well as the answer key, topic list for 2012, and references (which are in fact college textbooks). The second half with the drawings I do not have a problem in but the word problems in the beginning are what I do not know.

Looks like orthographic drafting to me --- Any engineering drawing reference book should do.

Try "Technical DRawings" by, Giesecke - Mitchel-Spencer-Hill-Dygdon.

Associate Engineer
    Is there anything that is cheaper and covers the basics of these topics?

I see it on Amazon for $25. I was expecting a LOT more than that as it is a standard text for the course. If you're looking for something worthwhile for less than that, good luck! I say it is a very wise investment in your future and will put you several steps ahead of your peers.