Thread: Is it Better to Walk or Run in the Rain?

Is it Better to Walk or Run in the Rain?

Interesting discussion on standing, walking or running in the rain.

http://www.engineeringmotion.com/vid...un-in-the-rain?
    </EMBED>

As you walk out of the way of one raindrop, you're moving into the path of another one. This means the amount of rain that's hitting the top of you is constant, regardless of how fast you're going.
    You can picture that the raindrops themselves are stationary, and you - and the Earth below you - are moving upwards through the rain. And since the volume of a parallelepiped - a 3D parallelogram - doesn't depend at all on its slant, then no matter how fast you're moving horizontally, the same amount of rain will land on top of you each second. Which sounds like a pretty obscure comparison, but when you see it illustrated, it makes a lot of sense.
    This means that if you're not moving, the rain that's falling on top of you is all you'll get. But when you start moving, you'll also come into contact with raindrops from the side. So really, if you want to stay driest, you should just stand still, in the middle of the rain. Of course, this isn't exactly practical, and people will probably drive past and think you've gone mad. So you have to move, and just like how a snowplough will drive away the fallen snow in its path no matter how fast it's going, the amount of rain you'll come into contact with, whether you walk or run, will actually be the same. Because, again, parallelepipeds.
    Over a given period of time, the same amount of rain will hit you from the top, regardless of how fast you're going. And over a given distance, you'll hit the same amount of rain from the side, again, regardless of how fast you're going.

David Pencyldyke
    Unless you slip and fall. Then all bets are off.

I prefer to moonwalk. Everything gets out of the way for a moonwalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    I prefer to moonwalk. Everything gets out of the way for a moonwalker.
    Yes, no rain on the moon!
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Banned
    I just love to walk in Rain..!! Enjoy your life & the little things.... What will you get if you run... You will get wet as well. So Better to Walk & feel the Rain...

ntrams
    In general it's better to run.

Hello
    Im knew to this forum and eager to help anyway I can
    So I got my pencil out and applied all the science I know.
    Hope this works for you

image.jpeg

To minimize the amount of rainwater over a given distance you should go as fast as possible.

The rain falling on a horizontal surface just depends on the time involved, so the quicker you move the better, but the rain encountered by a vertical surface is independent of your speed. This is where a parallelopiped comes in, but it differs from the one described above. Its volume equals the distance travelled multiplied by the vertical area that faces the direction of motion. If you could move at infinite speed this volume would lie horizontally. The slower you go the more inclined it is, but the volume of rain doesn’t change.

Banned
    I am not sure that it matters because you will get wet anyway. If you stand still then perhaps you get less exposure to the rain but if you are moving then you will intersect your surface area with the surface area or should I say volume of the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    Interesting discussion on standing, walking or running in the rain.

http://www.engineeringmotion.com/vid...un-in-the-rain?
    </EMBED>
    I love to walk in the Rain.