Thread: Binding Rope/Strap selection

Associate Engineer

Binding Rope/Strap selection

Respected forum members

I have a question regarding the selection of rope/suitable binding for attaching dead weights around the wind turbine generator. I have to attach two 20 kg dead weight blocks(rectangular steel bars), one above and one below the generator (diameter of generator: 350 mm). Since the turbine is already installed, the only possible way is to use some rope or straps to tie this dead weights steel bars around the generator.

I am not so experienced with the suitable rope/ straps that can be used in this case, would you mind giving me some suggestions regarding which rope/ suitable rubber strip traps that can be used.

Thanks in advance

Technical Fellow
    Given the vibration of the spinning generator, albeit slight, but continuous, anything short of bolting weights will be fraught with danger.

I have to ask, why on Earth are you bolting almost 100-lbs of steel to the generator? If it serves no mechanical purpose, and I assume it does not if you are looking to rope it on, why is it there at all?

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the message, the weights are attached to balance the weight on both sides of the turbine, so that it stays horizontal. This has to be done because of a small mistake made during the design process..

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the reply

The dead weights are placed to balance the weight on the front and back part of the turbine so it stays horizontal.

Technical Fellow
    If it is that much out of balance then you need to move the attachment point closer to the center of gravity. I can imagine adding 10 or 15 ounces, but 20Kg = almost 50 pounds will just add another level of imminent failure.

Sometimes one has to step back and look at the overall design and then seriously consider starting again. There is no shame in a design improvement for longer wear and use life.

Having said that and if ignored at your peril, bolting 50-lbs on is those ONLY way.
    Imagine....
    Turbine spinning at 3000rpm
    One of two straps holding weight breaks.
    With weight shift, turbine immediately yaws.
    Dislodges weight enough for blade to strike weight.
    Blade shatters sending lethal chunks of fiberglass in all directions.
    Weight falls hitting someone on the ground - 1 dead.
    Remaining two blades cause huge spinning imbalance.
    Resonance induced into vertical mast causes oscillations.
    Eventually the whole mass self destructs. several more dead.

Think it can't happen???
    Try this on Youtube for 1060 hits
    wind turbine failure

Let me re-use, once again, one of my favorite quotations...
    I think it was the great British Engineer, Bazelgate who said, "...conspicuous failures from structures hastily contrived!"

Sughi,
    The man knows what he is talking about. Take his advice. Consider the possibilities and the consequences of failure at the worst possible time.

Clo031019
    Pinkerton.. spot on, and morbidly hilarious.

Associate Engineer
    @Pinkerton, you are absolutely right, these is not at all a good permanent solution,,but infact these weights are attached only for a couple of hours of testing of the prototype rather than fixing it for ever,,anyway, i designed and constructed a supporting structure which solved the problem,,,Thank you very much,,