Thread: Snow Loads on Flat Roof Vehicle

Associate Engineer

Snow Loads on Flat Roof Vehicle

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has some info on the snow load requirement for a vehicle with a flat roof. It should be assumed that this roof can withstand the snow loads typical for Canada/Russia (but I don't know these values). As a guess, I have been designing a roof to support 12" thick of solid ice. However, this may be overkill. I have seen trucks with very thin sheeting and small crossmembers compared to what I am using.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Technical Fellow
    A starting point might be local House Building Codes for snow-loads for the area of the highest anticipated snow load the vehicle will travel to.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I *will* guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    A starting point might be local House Building Codes for snow-loads for the area of the highest anticipated snow load the vehicle will travel to.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I *will* guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.
    I have looked into this a bit already but didn't get concrete answers. But after looking at a cube van we have, it seems like they are not designing the roof nearly as strong as a house would be.

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by analysisparalysis View Post
    I have looked into this a bit already but didn't get concrete answers.
    Our local Code shows...

30" snow load
    90-mph wind

Snow will be roughly around 7-lbs/Ft3 to about 20-lbs/ft3

Seems pretty concrete to me.

Dave
    Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Our local Code shows...

30" snow load
    90-mph wind

Snow will be roughly around 7-lbs/Ft3 to about 20-lbs/ft3

Seems pretty concrete to me.

Dave
    Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein
    Question: Do building codes already have a safety factor built in?

Technical Fellow
    Don't know, but about 12 seconds of searching would reveal all. 'Bout time you took over with this.

Dave