Thread: Need Bernille chart to show differences in ASTM 48 VS Chilled White Chrome Iron

Associate Engineer

Need Bernille chart to show differences in ASTM 48 VS Chilled White Chrome Iron

I am trying to locate a Bernille Hardness chart that shows the differences between Cast Iron, ASTM A48, Class 35B & wear resistant high chrome white iron, minimum Brinell Hardness (BHR) of 750-1000.

This is to help show the percent hardness difference between the two materials to convience a customer using the ASTM A48 material in a wastewater application for a grit removal pump.

Any help locating a chart would be appreciated.

Technical Fellow
    Whoa back there Pycture, a very risky business "to convience a customer"

If they heed your advice and it breaks or wears faster than they think it should, who gets to pay remedial working? If the customer has designed the device and specified the material, it is a brave soul that tries to change their ideas.

It is a noble idea, but let me assure after some 40+ years as an Engineer working on projects all over the World, "just don't" <-- my gratitude to Yul Brynner

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I *will* guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.

Different materials and there ability to resist wear... isn't always due to higher hardness. Harder doesn't prove it will wear longer. Something that has always sort of mystified me is how a softer grinding stone is used on harder metals and a harder stone on softer metals. Seems bass akwards to me. This grit you're pumping vs. the materials used in the pump... could actually give you less life on components going harder. Might do better but might not.

In order to convince your customer to go with a different material you're going to need to test it along side of their current in conditions that simulate actual use... or accelerated use... then measure wear. Grab a couple of the pumps and use material 1 and material 2 for the parts in question and run them side by side in a tank of grit that's the same as the intended use and run them for a month or so...?

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    Whoa back there Pycture, a very risky business "to convience a customer"

If they heed your advice and it breaks or wears faster than they think it should, who gets to pay remedial working? If the customer has designed the device and specified the material, it is a brave soul that tries to change their ideas.

It is a noble idea, but let me assure after some 40+ years as an Engineer working on projects all over the World, "just don't" <-- my gratitude to Yul Brynner

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I *will* guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.
    I appreciate your concerns and agree with them, however I would not be doing the convincing the customer has already convinced themselves and has made the request for the harder pump case material.

All I really need is a chart showing the percent increase in hardness for the materials.

Currently the the "Wastewater Grit" that the Cast iron volute is receiving causes a hole to wear in the side of the pump in 4 months or less, the thought they have is that with a harder material (chilled white iron) they may experience a greater longivity with the pump casing and recessed impeller.

I would appreciate it if you could steer me to discovery.

Quote “Anything a single mind can conceive, the sum of mankind can achieve” Author Unknown.

Regards,

Tom

Technical Fellow
    Tom,

OK, then in that case, you don't mean Brinell, do you?

Dave
    Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Associate Engineer
    It is quite obvious to you by know that I am not an engineer and do not have the skills thereof.
    Also Spelling was never a strong suite of mine. Do you have a link for me to try?

Technical Fellow

Just do a search on Brinell hardness, tons of stuff.

If you have Machinery's Handbook, I think both Rockwell and Brinell charts may be in that too.
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=brinell+hardness
    http://www.google.com/search?q=brinell+hardness

In fact the "edge" has a conversion chart, that may help if you can find what you want in Rockwell hardness.
    http://www.engineersedge.com/hardness_conversion.htm

Dave
    Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Associate Engineer
    Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Tom

Technical Fellow
    Happy to help Tom.

Thanks for getting back to us. It's nice to see when something has helped.

Dave

Here's a handy dandy comparison chart from the Wiki world... Even speaks to pumps and use of the white iron etc...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_iron