Thread: Speed increasing mechanism?

Technical Fellow

Speed increasing mechanism?

Hi All,

Before I put my tired old brain to the chore I thought I might scour the talented minds here first. The past week or so I have been hobbling around with a bad knee and opening the front gate, driving though and closing it again has been a pain that I think should be automated.

I have some old C-Band satellite dish actuators that run off 12 volts DC but after timing one to travel 30" required to open the gate, would also require a coffee pot system either side of the gate while waiting for the grand opening. Closing I don't care so much, just as long as it does.

Actuator-Moteck_big.jpg

The actuator has about 1000-lbs force available to bend and break stuff so we have grunt aplenty.

Bear in mind this needs to push and pull the gate -- or maybe not. Maybe a spring-balancer or a garage door lift spring to bias it on opening. Hmmm

Thoughts? Cost is of course on issue as openers are available for around 300-bucks, but I can't go there. Momma's list outweighs mine in orders of priority.

Thanks

Principle Engineer
    Dave,
    With 1000 lbs of force you obviously don't need the 30 inches of stroke .

Could you somehow push/pull the thing closer to the hinge ( or make a linkage that reduces the MA) using a lot less stroke.

How much of its stroke do you want to use? Zeke and I had the same thought - a linkage of some sort. Can you grab a picture or two your next time thru the gate?

Is it a barn door type gate or does it swing?

Technical Fellow
    Ha ha! Hoisted by my own Petard! Not enough damned initial information. Sorry guys.

OK, it is a 13' swing gate on a slightly inclined driveway so it can only swing out.
    ca75e31e-b263-4b73-b9f9-081c03f97592_300.jpg
    Gate is thin pressed metal and quite flimsy but more than adequate, a guess at weight is about 90-lbs.

Even though fairly open design, wind load on the gate can be prodigious at times so I'd like to keep as much power as possible as prevailing strong wind is from the closing direction. One time, I had to wait for the wind to abate as I could not push it an inch. Those times I can live with it stalling and wait for a gap in the gusts.

From drawings, 28" seems to be a good trade off for stroke versus loads and I-hope-speed.

Current thoughts are for a simple linkage for a 3:1 which would provide about 330-lbs at the gate which may be too light in anything but a wafting breeze. I am estimating I need about 500-lbs at the gate. Any more and in strong wind it will just fold the gate at the connection.

Maybe I should also consider a DC-motor and roller chain system. It does not have to use the actuator, I just started thinking there because I had several that are no longer used. Oh, and by the way, I now have one less as I tested it with 24v to speed things up, which it did for a very short while.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkertonD View Post
    ................... Maybe I should also consider a DC-motor and roller chain system. It does not have to use the actuator, I just started thinking there because I had several that are no longer used. Oh, and by the way, I now have one less as I tested it with 24v to speed things up, which it did for a very short while.
    How about grabbing an old dirt bike chain and sprocket... (maybe no. 50 chain?) Weld or fix the big sprocket to the gate pivot... put a bearing on the little sprocket and a pin to weld to the fence. Then attach a drive lug to the chain and push / pull with your actuator up the straight line of one side of the chain. Follow me?

Technical Fellow
    Thanks Bob, that welded sprocket was pretty much what I had in mind when I was thinking of a motor, but your actuator idea is better as it is all ready waterproof for outside use.

Bad knee is getting better so getting out to open gate has been pushed back a bit, but your suggestion will activate it a again.