Thread: Pipeline support design

Pipeline support design

Hello all,

I have been given the following scenario:

There is a 600 foot long asphalt pipeline that spans over a very large field. This specific pipeline is 12 inches in diameter and has a 3in diameter pipe attached to it. In addition, this pipeline as a whole is wrapped in 2 inches of fiberglass insulation. I need to figure out an efficient way to support this pipeline. It is reccomended that the pipleline be sitting 2 feet above ground. Material of this pipeline is schedule 40 - Carbon steel. If anyone can help with this process it would be much appreciated. Implementation of guides, shoes, and/or stops is required. I am essentially trying to figure out what type of I beam to use and at what span. Any other advice is more than welcomed.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to what you have to say.
    Last edited by srw2104; 06-29-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Project Engineer
    Pray tell, how is it that you "have been given the following scenerio"?

It is a summer project my college professor has given as volunteer work. It works as professional experience.

Technical Fellow
    If it looks like homework and it quacks like homework...

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I *will* guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.
    Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

It's actually not homework. It's project team based. All who attempted to discover the solution, meet at the beginning of the semester and we work together to find the best idea. Then we will apply it to the real world. This pipeline does exist. Everything described in my post is real...I just need to work it out on paper first

Technical Fellow
    OK, but if "this pipeline does exist," what's currently holding up the 600 feet of insulated schedule 40?

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I *will* guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.
    Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

it currently rests on large wooden blocks at a span of one wooden block support every 5 feet. But, These blocks are beginning to corrode and weaken.

PinkertonD...i understand you are an important member on this website and your help is always appreciated, i just couldn't stress it enough that this is not homework as I know homework is not to be posted on this site.
    Last edited by srw2104; 06-29-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Technical Fellow
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

I am also compelled to correct you, I am no more important than any other contributing member within this flock.

Is it a "flock" of Engineers?

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I will guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.

I don't think it is a "flock" of engineers...

A GAGGLE of geese
    A COVEY of quail
    A MURDER of crows...

and the pet name my boss has

An ANNOYANCE of engineers.

Ron

Technical Fellow
    Yeah,

The Urban Dictionary shows it as a "Wank of Engineers," but I was not happy with that.

Just to add, "A suicide of bales" is 64 hay bales.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I will guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.

Engineer
    Makes Sense to this Kansas boy because after throwing 64 bales of hay, It feels like you've committed suicide......Problem is theres still another 500 to throw and stack!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpidydumpy View Post
    Makes Sense to this Kansas boy because after throwing 64 bales of hay, It feels like you've committed suicide......Problem is theres still another 500 to throw and stack!
    Ain't that the truth! I helped put up hay during the summers while in school at K-State. What part of KS are you from?

Engineer
    Class of 2007 at KSU. Dad works for Boeing in Wichita, so thats where I spent most of my time. But I now have family from the Topeka-KC area.

Technical Fellow
    It might be a local AZ farm-boy thing. The first/last/only time I heard it used was with a loaded car hauler trailer and 64 bales strapped on it. It looked like it would be suicide to head down the highway like that. Auctioneer said it was the correct term though.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpidydumpy View Post
    Class of 2007 at KSU. Dad works for Boeing in Wichita, so thats where I spent most of my time. But I now have family from the Topeka-KC area.
    KSU Class of 1988 here. I still live in the Topeka area.

Small world!

Ron