I am scratching my head on this one. I have a 2 inch thk A36 steel plate with yeild of 36,000 and ultimate of 58-80,000 PSI. the plate will be designed 6 inches wide x 12 inches long and have a 2 " diameter hole bored thru for a clevis pin attachment. the hole location will be x=2"; y=2" on one end of the plate. the entire plate will be welded to the side of a heavy machine for pulling purspose. there will be two of these plate assemblies (1 on each side of machine). The assumption will be equal shared load distribution to both plates. The total towing load potential could reach 200,000 lbs for dragging a machine around on dirt. i have already factored in the weight and coefficeint of friction to get to the worst case value of 200,000 lbs static weight
Question: at what point will the A36 plate start to deform or oblong the 2 inch hole. I understand the above yeild and ultimate failure PSI but a brain fart occured and i forgot how to translate the imposed load back to the strength of the material. Please help an old man...