Thread: Compression Questions for plastic/epoxys

Associate Engineer

Confused Compression Questions for plastic/epoxys

First Time Posting on here. But I wanted to get an opinion on compression testing for rigid plastic/epoxys. Is there a specific company that sells equipment better suited for softer/harder materials? The compression testing is not a customer requirement, so the results are not super critical, a simple testing devise will suffice. I am just trying to collect data before a potential issue may occur. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

Technical Fellow
    Are you looking for a Hardness rating? Or is it something like a motorcycle helmet that needs to withstand a certain force before failing?

Given the sketchy information you have provided, so far my best guess for you is an orange.

Associate Engineer
    Ok I tried the orange... Didn't work out so well
    I am looking for a hardness rating. I will be testing a small sample of a sympoxy potting material, no larger than 2X2 inches. I had built a manually operated devise with a load cell, digital read out, and a lever to manually pull down. I would like a automated machine, to prevent variations in the speed and force to which different workers may use when running the test. I do not need anything big, I wont be testing concrete with it. Hopefully this is better information.

Technical Fellow
    OK, try researching a Durometer. A Shore Durometer should get you started. Other types you may want to to also check out are are Rockwell and Vickers for other ranges.

Associate Engineer
    I already have 2 Shore A Durometers, Rockwell and vickers are for way harder material than what I am looking for. I am looking for a compressing/tensile tester or a tensometer, perhaps another company very similar to Zwick Roell, I do not need anything over 5kN. Everything I have found is for cement that requires a large set up and amount of force.

Technical Fellow
    Geeeze, I think I will quit the dream of becoming a Dentist, I am losing my ebullience with pulling teeth.

Sounds like rather than an A scale durometer, you need to search for a O or OO scale durometer. They are not cheap, either. Yowzer!

Ron